Brice's Crossroads

  • Jack Hultquist
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 3, 2002
      (I still need a source for information about Captain Rabb's Second Indiana Battery that was located in Kansas see # 9600.  Thank you.)

      Brice's Crossroads, near Guntown, Mississippi --- a soldiers view

      Camp   near   Memphis   Tenn.     June  17th, 1864

      Dear Brother

      [.....]  We went into camp here the same day that we disembarked [from the steamboat] and have laid here since; The sam[e] day (the 10 [th]) our arms met with a sad defeat at Guntown, Mississippi which is another specimen of bad generalship.  Old Sturgis came in with Grierson and his cavalry command, and reported the rest of his men captured, but in a day or two, to our surprise and joy they all came in but about 2000 which was killed, wounded or captured; these men blame Sturgis with this disastrously defeat.  This expedition was 8 or 10 days marching out there (140 miles) and a good many straglers retraced their steps here in two days and nights.  They kept pace with the cavalry not knowing any of our men was in the rear of them.  But the main force was four or five days getting in here, and some of them were in a critical condition traveling until their feet were skinned and swollen to twice their original size.  Some rebel cavalry harassed their rear until within 24 miles of this place. The troops here are under orders to be ready to march at a minutes notice.