Re: Lone Jack

  • carlw4514
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 2, 2002
      the Shenandoah gets the bragging rights for the last officially
      commissioned CSA unit to surrender, edging out Watie by a few.
      Carl
      --- In civilwarwest@y..., "tonybro.geo" <tonybro@b...> wrote:
      > ---
      > > I for one am glad to see that the trans-Mississippi is getting
      some
      > > attention.
      > I completely agree
      >
      > I think a case can be made that the war started there
      > > (bloody Kansas),
      > I completely agree
      >
      > ended there (Stand Watie's surrender),
      > Are you sure that it did not end in the port of
      > Liverpool, England, when the C.S.S, Shenandoah
      > interned herself in September?
      >
      > and that a > heck of a lot of interesting things occurred there
      > Absolutely right!
      >
      > Best wishes from London,
      > Tony Brown
    • carlw4514
      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 2, 2002
        correcting myself, make that "bleeding Kansas"
      • Dick Weeks
        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 2, 2002
          Carl I do believe you are correct. Watie's claim to fame was not that his
          was the last Confederate command to surrender, rather that he was the last
          Confederate "general" to surrender his command.

          Dick (a.k.a. Shotgun)
          http://www.civilwarhome.com