Re: [civilwarwest] Re: Six Armies....

  • LWhite64@aol.com
    Message 1 of 14 , Feb 1, 2002
      Joe H. has a good point, Breckinridge had been on loan, but Wilson and Gist's Brigades had been part of the Charleston Garrison sent to the Army of Relief.

      Lee
    • carlw4514
      Message 2 of 14 , Feb 2, 2002
        Well maybe if you have subordinates who won't execute your orders that
        makes you a pessimist! When Bragg was in charge of the Wilmington
        defenses late `64 to `65 DEFEATIST is about all you can conclude after
        reading CONFEDERATE GOLIATH; it is frankly hard to imagine that there
        is another side to the story that puts Bragg in any other light.
        Carl
        --- In civilwarwest@y..., "hank9174" <clarkc@m...> wrote:
        > unre,
        >
        > are you saying that Bragg was an optimist in 1861 and a realist in
        > 1864? ;)
        >
        > Again, Woodworth points out that Bragg was thwarted by Hardee and
        Polk

        <ParrotheadDan@l...>

      • lilsteve68@aol.com
        Message 3 of 14 , Feb 3, 2002
          In a message dated 2/1/02 5:21:58 PM Central Standard Time, LWhite64@... writes:

          In the McClemore's Cove debacle it was DH Hill and Thomas Hindman that didnt act as ordered,...Hill going as far as to lie to Bragg.

          Lee

          And as for Hindman he had as many happy followers as Bragg.. I havent reafd any good comments about him anywere...
        • FLYNSWEDE@AOL.COM
          Message 4 of 14 , Feb 3, 2002
            lilsteve68@... writes:

            << And as for Hindman he had as many happy followers as Bragg.. I havent
            reafd
            any good comments about him anywere... >>

            Tsk tsk Lee,
            You know that Cleburne thought favorably about Hindman prior to the war in
            Arkansas.

            Wayne <who is feeling like a little devil tonight>
          • LWhite64@aol.com
            Message 5 of 14 , Feb 4, 2002
              Steve,
                    I would venture to say that Bragg was more popular than Hindman, but then again one person that could be counted among Hindman's friends was, ironically, Cleburne.

              Lee
            • Kristin Scherrer
              Message 6 of 14 , Feb 4, 2002

                Could somone explain Hindman in a little further detail?

                Kristin

                  LWhite64@... wrote:

                Steve,
                      I would venture to say that Bragg was more popular than Hindman, but then again one person that could be counted among Hindman's friends was, ironically, Cleburne.

                Lee

                Do You Yahoo!?

              • dmsmith001
                Message 7 of 14 , Feb 12, 2002
                  --- In civilwarwest@y..., "hank9174" <clarkc@m...> wrote:

                  snips

                  > Again, Woodworth points out that Bragg was thwarted by Hardee and
                  > Polk during the Tullahoma campaign, <someone> prior to Chickamauga
                  > when Rosecrans dangled a division at McLemores Cove, Polk again at
                  > Chickamauga and Longstreet at Chattanooga on the left at Brown's
                  > Ferry and Wauhatchie.

                  I simply wish that Woodworth would have tried to gather an
                  understanding of how and why these subordinates didn't work well with
                  Bragg.

                  You've worked with people like Bragg - it's always someone else's
                  fault - never his.

                  Tis one of the easy outs for looking at a particular campaign, that
                  one can always justify anything in the short term.

                  > In all of the above cases, Bragg had opportunities to whack a
                  > goodly portion of the AotC; in Longstreet's case, the whole army.

                  Longstreet a chance to wreck the whole army, and thwarted Bragg's
                  plans? Where and when?

                  > Whatever these men's feelings toward Bragg, they pretty much defied
                  > direct orders in these situations.

                  Let's deal with Longstreet for a moment. What orders did he defy?

                  Dave

                  Dave Smith
                  Villa Hills, Ky
                • hank9174
                  Message 8 of 14 , Feb 13, 2002
                    Dave,

                    Here's two points that I can recall 'ol Pete defying Bragg's orders:

                    1. Longstreet was insistent on pulling troops back from the river.
                    Even Law, the brigade CO at the point of contact, returning from
                    furlough, was appalled to find his men withdrawn. After USA troops
                    came ashore at Brown's Ferry, Bragg ordered Longstreet to use his
                    entire force to retake the landing. Longstreet used one brigade in
                    what became the battle of Wauhatchie.

                    2. For whatever reason, Longstreet felt that the USA push from
                    Bridgeport was going southeast into the mountains(?). Bragg allowed
                    Longstreet to sidle a couple of brigades south along the mountain to
                    meet this 'threat'. Bragg also ordered a reconnaisance in force
                    towards Bridgeport to see what Hooker really was up to. Longstreet did
                    not reconn. The first he knew of Hooker's advance was when Geary
                    marched unmolested across his front into a strong position.

                    Should Bragg have allowed Longstreet to indulge in his fantasy of
                    H00ker's whereabouts? Probably not. Should Longstreet have followed
                    orders? Probably so...

                    HankC