Re: Orders

  • josepharose
    Message 1 of 11 , Feb 1, 2002
      Bob,

      Thanks hugely. Knowing of your previous posts, I assume that you
      provided this abundance of information off the top of your head.

      One reason that I'd be interested in the generals' original order
      books is that they could provide the best chronologically-ordered
      orders, in those cases where a time isn't noted. In the ORs, there
      seems to be a number of instances where various orders with the same
      date were printed in an incorrect order.

      Other orders in the ORs may have incorrect timestamps; for
      Chattanooga, one message to Reynolds has Granger, Sheridan, and Hazen
      at Bragg's HQs on the ridge before the attack even started (maybe
      they had been invited for tea).

      Are these order books located at the LOC or the Archives and are they
      available for public perusal?

      Thanks, again,
      Joseph

      --- In civilwarwest@y..., "Bob Huddleston" <adco12@m...> wrote:
      > One question you only partially asked was How many copied were made?
      > Then and now the number depended upon the material. A report would
      have
      > one for the recipient and one for the sender to retain. An order
      would
      > depend upon the necessary distribution. General Orders often were
      set in
      > type and printed; Special Orders concerning leaves and detachments
      might
      > also be set in type and printed in the an abbreviated format, with
      the
      > subject receiving a couple of copies of the portion which concerned
      him.

      > With only two types of orders (see the insertion below from the
      1861 US
      > Army Regulations about the differences -- CS used identical
      wording),
      > Field Orders and attack orders were part of the Special Order
      series.

      > Perhaps the most famous single order of the CW was Special Order
      191,
      > Series of 1862, Headquarters, Army of Northern Virginia, the famous
      > "Lost Order."
      >
      > Because it had to go out to various commands, the order was first
      > drafter and then approved by Gen. Lee. Then clerks were gathered and
      > they copied the order the necessary number of times. A copy was
      placed
      > in an envelope, addressed and delivered. The messenger was
      responsible
      > for delivering it, and, as proof of delivery, having the recipient
      sign
      > the envelope, which the messenger had to take back.
      >
      > Unlike modern practice, where copies of Top Secret documents are
      > numbered, CW orders weren't. And I have never seen a log of
      delivered
      > orders: it was the responsibility of the adjutant general (Rawlins,
      in
      > USG's case) to make certain that all the messengers returned with
      the
      > signed envelopes -- which were tossed in the fire.
      >
      > The Antietam Group got into an argument (shocking, I know!) a few
      years
      > ago about the number of copies of SO 191 that were sent. No one
      knows
      > for certain, but, at a minimum, there would have been:
      >
      > 1. Retained by HQ, ANV
      > 2 & 3 to Longstreet and Jackson, the Wong Commanders
      > 4 to Stuart the cavalry division commander.
      >
      > Here is where things got messed up: a fifth went to Harvey Hill,
      since
      > part of SO 191 detached him from Jackson's command and made Hill's
      > division report directly to HQ, ANV.
      >
      > But, since the order did not have, as a modern one would, a
      distribution
      > list, Jackson copied the relevant portions and sent this to Hill.
      It is