Lone Jack

  • Jack Hultquist
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 31, 2002
      Per Lone Jack - I hope some historian can help me with my question at # 9600.  Twelve years ago through Civil War letters I became interested in Lone Jack.  I am not from Missouri but through research it became apparent a high percentage of the soldiers and civilians in that battle either died or were seriously wounded.  Being a bloody battle is not a new thought.  By those who have studied the battle (or were in the battle) it has been known for 139 years that Lone Jack was not a typical battle.  Here is a non-historic tidbit.  John Wayne, in the movie "True Grit", when asked about his eye patch told Kim Darby it happened during the war, at Lone Jack.
    • carlw4514
      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 1, 2002
        Sorry to take off on a tangent, I guess we twisted your thread around
        to something different. Unfortunately, I don't know the answer to
        your question myself. Thanks for your view and the tidbit.
        -But the battle has become interesting for me for a different reason:
        let's just make this a different thread. This has got me re-reading
        the cwi dot com webpage again.
        http://www.civilwarinteractive.com/urbattle10.htm
        I for one am glad to see that the trans-Mississippi is getting some
        attention. I think a case can be made that the war started there
        (bloody Kansas), ended there (Stand Watie's surrender), and that a
        heck of a lot of interesting things occurred there ( Porter nearly
        stranding a chunk of his navy up the Red River and how that was
        averted, and a bonafide mutiny taking place on the Union retreat from
        Wilson's Creek- to cite some fine examples). To this we can add the
        spectacle of the seesaw battle at Lone Jack. But when I see comments
        like the battle causing a reaction of 60,000 Union troops being sent
        in and delaying the end of the war 16 months, I have to say I'M FROM
        MISSOURI, SHOW ME! The '62 war in MO, well, OK; This one battle?
        Someone help me out here.
        Carl

        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 1, 2002
          Lone Jack and MO.  Still looking for an answer to # 9600.

          Carl, thanks for your response.  Until I looked at cwi I could not figure out what you were writing about in message # 9630.  I do know after Lone Jack for the next few days and weeks troops were moved to various locations in western MO.  Actually there may have been 60,000 troops in western MO before Lone Jack.  The following is from a soldier's Benton County letter dated Oct 27, 1861.  "We are in a brigade of 5,000 under General Hunter but there is 15,000 in this division.  This division is in the center, Fremont and Sigel is on the right and there is another division on the left.  When we left our camp we expected to have a battle with Price right here on this ground where we are now camped."  (15 miles south of Warsaw.)

          Carl, one thing the I find interesting about MO is it was not just about big armies going from state to state but was also really a Civil War of neighbor fighting neighbor.  Besides Lone Jack in 1862 the Third Indiana Battery was also involved at Moore's Mill where about 130 soldiers died.  In March 1862 the writer of the above letter was involved in a skirmish 8 miles NE of Pisgah near the river.  Nine rebels were killed.  During the summer of 1862 this unit was involved with other little skirmishes and bushwhackings that the rebels were constantly throwing at them.  The diversity of the war in MO and it being a personal war is why I find MO quite interesting.

        • tonybro.geo
          Message 4 of 7 , Feb 2, 2002
            ---
            > I for one am glad to see that the trans-Mississippi is getting some
            > attention.
            I completely agree

            I think a case can be made that the war started there
            > (bloody Kansas),
            I completely agree

            ended there (Stand Watie's surrender),
            Are you sure that it did not end in the port of
            Liverpool, England, when the C.S.S, Shenandoah
            interned herself in September?

            and that a > heck of a lot of interesting things occurred there
            Absolutely right!

            Best wishes from London,
            Tony Brown
          • carlw4514
            Message 5 of 7 , Feb 2, 2002
              the Shenandoah gets the bragging rights for the last officially
              commissioned CSA unit to surrender, edging out Watie by a few.
              Carl
              --- In civilwarwest@y..., "tonybro.geo" <tonybro@b...> wrote:
              > ---
              > > I for one am glad to see that the trans-Mississippi is getting
              some
              > > attention.
              > I completely agree
              >
              > I think a case can be made that the war started there
              > > (bloody Kansas),
              > I completely agree
              >
              > ended there (Stand Watie's surrender),
              > Are you sure that it did not end in the port of
              > Liverpool, England, when the C.S.S, Shenandoah
              > interned herself in September?
              >
              > and that a > heck of a lot of interesting things occurred there
              > Absolutely right!
              >
              > Best wishes from London,
              > Tony Brown
            • carlw4514
              Message 6 of 7 , Feb 2, 2002
                correcting myself, make that "bleeding Kansas"
              • Dick Weeks
                Message 7 of 7 , Feb 2, 2002
                  Carl I do believe you are correct. Watie's claim to fame was not that his
                  was the last Confederate command to surrender, rather that he was the last
                  Confederate "general" to surrender his command.

                  Dick (a.k.a. Shotgun)
                  http://www.civilwarhome.com