Re: [civilwarwest] Re: Question regarding the Blair family

  • FLYNSWEDE@AOL.COM
    Message 1 of 16 , Jan 30, 2002
      In a message dated 1/29/02 8:39:50 PM Eastern Standard Time, basecat1@...
      writes:

      << Just to add my 2 cents on the Blairs, The Famous Blair House up the street
      from the White House was owned by the family. The Elder Blair always wished
      that he or one of his sons became President, but alas, this was as close to
      the White House as they ever got. :)

      Regards from the Garden State,

      And Steve, that is where Harry Truman lived when they were remodeling the
      White House and where visiting dignataries stay when they come and visit the
      President.

      Wayne who remembers seeing Truman on his morning walks in LaFayette Park
    • carlw4514
      Message 2 of 16 , Jan 30, 2002
        now how do you like that?! I had thought the Blair residence in the
        area was Blair Mansion ( now being used as a murder mystery dinner
        thing - eeeewwwwwwwww ) in Silver Spring, MD, on the DC line, see
        http://www.takoma.com/bak/archives/1998/199807ftstevens.html
        I knew of Blair House - doesnt the president elect stay there? - but
        did not know this was the same Blair family.
        Carl

        Message 3 of 16 , Jan 30, 2002
          In a message dated 1/30/02 2:55:04 PM Eastern Standard Time,
          carlw4514@... writes:

          << I knew of Blair House - doesnt the president elect stay there? - but
          did not know this was the same Blair family >>

          Shore is de same
        • Bob Huddleston
          Message 4 of 16 , Jan 31, 2002
            The Blair family were something like the Kennedy's today --covering
            several generations and exercising tremendous influence over American
            politics.

            Francis Blair Senior, "Preston Blair," was the family patriarch. He had
            been a charter member of Old Hickory's "Kitchen Cabinet" and continued
            to be a frequent advisor to Democratic administrations. He also was an
            influential newspaper man.

            Like most of the Jacksonians, Preston Blair was an unconditional
            Unionist in 1861.

            As a result, the Montgomery's home in Silver Springs, Maryland, was
            burned by Jubal Early in 1864.

            Preston's children included Francis Junior, and Montgomery, who have
            been covered here. There was also Elizabeth (1818-1906) who married
            "Lincoln's Lee," US Navy officer Samuel Phillips Lee (1812-1897). Lee
            was the grandson of "Signer" Richard Henry Lee and a third cousin, or
            some such, of Robert E. Preston Blair strongly opposed his daughter's
            marriage to an impecunious junior navy officer (all of the Lee's of that
            generation seem to have been broke!) but later not only reconciled
            became very close to his son-in-law.

            In the 1861, CDR Lee was CO of the USS Vandalia, enroute to the East
            Indies. While refitting at Cape Town, he heard about the secession of
            South Carolina, disobeyed orders, and brought the Vandalia home,
            arriving on May 15. Between his initiative in returning to the United
            States, as his family influence, Lee was on the fast track! He was CO of
            the gunboat Oneida during the attack on New Orleans and Farragut's
            passing of Vicksburg. He was then appointed acting rear admiral and
            given command of the North Atlantic Squadron off Virginia and North
            Carolina, and later the Mississippi River Squadron, supporting Thomas
            against Hood (see: it *is* on topic!). Lee retired in 1872 as rear
            admiral and is buried in Arlington.

            Many of the letters Lizzie wrote to Phil have been published as Laas,
            _Wartime Washington: The CW Letters of Elizabeth Blair Lee (Urbana,
            1991) and they are a fascinating assortment of gossip and insider
            information on everyone of importance.

            Although Elizabeth had a great deal of empathy and compassion for most
            of the Confederates, she left a very poor impression of her kissing
            cousin, Robert Lee: "I feel no exulted respect for a man who takes part
            in a movement in which he can see nothing but 'anarchy and ruin in
            secession'
            & yet that very utterance scare passed Robt Lees lips to my Father when
            he starts off with delegates to the Richmond convention -- to treat with
            Traitors -- No vain woman in my opinion was ever more easily lured from
            honor & duty by flattering than was this weak man by the overtures of
            wily politicians."

            The multi-generational aspect of the Blair family is demonstrated by
            Preston's father in law, the Revolutionary hero, Nathanial Gist and
            Elizabeth and Samuel's son, Blair Lee (1857-1944), who became the first
            popularly elected US Senator from Maryland.

            Preston purchased the house at 1655 Pennsylvania in 1845 and used it as
            a in-town residence, to go along with the Silver Springs estate. In
            1857, he bought the house next door and gave it to Samuel and Elizabeth.
            It was in the parlor of 1655 that Preston offered Col. Lee the command
            of the US Army in 1861 (referred to in Elizabeth's letter above). The
            two houses were combined and remained in the family until 1942 when they
            were purchased by the US government and have been used since then as the
            official guest house for visiting heads of state -- a use that the Civil
            War era Blairs would have said only continues the tradition!

            Take care,

            Bob

            Judy and Bob Huddleston
            10643 Sperry Street