Rosecrans at Chickamauga was Re: [civilwarwest] Re: Iuka & Corinth -- Cozzens Book

  • hartshje
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 29, 2002
      --- In civilwarwest@y..., Thomas A Hardy <thardy9@j...> wrote:
      > You are absolutely correct. What is interesting is that Thomas and
      > the boys had just concluded a dangerous approach march the night
      > before. The march was so important that Thomas even authorized the
      > lighting of bonfires along the route so that the troops would not
      > get lost and to keep the boys warm.
      > So on the morning of the 19th, he launches an attack, even if it is
      > a lone brigade, with troops who had not rested for over 24 hours.
      > Still not sure why.

      First of all, I must correct myself on something. It was the brigade
      commander Croxton, not division commander Brannan who made the
      facetious comment about which brigade he was to capture.

      I have never read anywhere any other reason for Thomas making his
      attack that morning, but I do have a guess. He already knew that
      Confederates were at Reed's bridge the night before. This was about
      two miles to Thomas' east. The further north you go, the further to
      the east the Chickamauga flows, thus opening up more maneuver room
      for any Confederate forces crossing the river. It would seem logical
      for Thomas (and Rosecrans) to fear that Bragg would try to cut off the
      AotC from Chattanooga.

      Since Thomas had been notified that Confederate infantry was already
      on the west side of the river, I think his advance had two purposes.
      The first was to find out just where the enemy was. The second was
      to try to hold Bragg back from moving any further to the north, which
      would endanger the Union left flank even more. By getting the battle
      underway, Thomas succeeded in keeping Bragg back.

      Anyway, that's my opinion.
      Best Regards,
      Joe