Re: [civilwarwest] Re: Cleburne's Promotion/ Ex-slave Confederate units

  • Robert Taubman
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 4, 2002
      I suppose it could happen but I wonder about how you instil patriotism in
      someone you have enslaved? I'm sure there were blacks who did fight for the
      South (let's not go there) but I don't believe the numbers would have been that
      significant. I don't believe any of the slaves at the beginning of the war knew
      what the war was about, period, let alone thinking it was about slavery.

      Anyway, it is a good "what if".

      Bob Taubman