Re: [civilwarwest] One thing about Grant critics I have never understood.

  • FLYNSWEDE@AOL.COM
    Message 1 of 58 , Jan 3, 2002
      wakefield1952@... writes:

      << I confess I am no expert on Grant's actions in Virginia but in late
      March and early April 1862 Grant had placed his Army on the wrong
      side of the Tennessee River. How many pickets where or where not sent
      out, whether or not it was a good idea to entrench or not to
      entrench, Grant's excusable or unexcuseable absence from the front,
      whether he purposely lied when he stated Sherman had been severly
      wounded, etc... all seem to me to be various degrees of Monday
      morning quarterbacking that really miss the HUGE mistake. >>

      In addendum to my previous post, one also has to remember that Grant was at
      Savannah not Pittsburg Landing. I have not found any evidence that Grant was
      at the Landing prior to that April day when the Confederates attacked.
      Pickets were sent out by the various regiments. Two days before the battle,
      a detail including an officer got into a skirmish with Confederate pickets
      and were captured, and a rescue party went out and did get some of them back.
      There were signs galore of strong Confederate activity, yet these signs were
      mainly ignored by Sherman and other division commanders. There was a lot of
      frustration amongst regimental commanders that when reporting enemy activity,
      they were rebutted as a result of the belief of the command officers that the
      Confederates would not dare to attack the camp. Ooooh were they ever
      wrong. In dispatches to Grant, none of them indicated a heavy buildup of
      enemy troops, and reported that there were only minor skirmishes, most likely
      with the enemy's cavalry or forward pickets.

      As much as I am an afficiando of Sherman, I will admit he was the one that
      made the major goof, not Grant. He along with the other Division Commanders
      failed to heed the warnings by their subordinates. If they had listen to
      the warnings, IMHO the battle of Shiloh would have had a different historical
      scenario.

      Daggumit - Getting more like Wakefield where I too (like Sherman) could be
      wrong

      Wayne
    • FLYNSWEDE@AOL.COM
      Message 58 of 58 , Jan 18, 2002
        In a message dated 1/18/02 6:31:10 PM Eastern Standard Time,
        theme_music@... writes:

        << At any rate, Smith commanded the expedition at the time Sherman
        landed at Pittsburg.

        Eric,
        At the time that Sherman with his flotilla and divisision went up the river
        to close to Muscle Shoals and then back to Pittsburg Landing, Smith was not
        with him. Smith might have chosen Sherman to do the scouting and commanded
        him in that manner, but the overall commander of the expedition was Sherman.
        Smith was still back in Savannah when Sherman landed.

        Wayne