Re: [civilwarwest] One thing about Grant critics I have never understood.

  • FLYNSWEDE@AOL.COM
    Message 1 of 58 , Jan 3, 2002
      wakefield1952@... writes:

      << I confess I am no expert on Grant's actions in Virginia but in late
      March and early April 1862 Grant had placed his Army on the wrong
      side of the Tennessee River. How many pickets where or where not sent
      out, whether or not it was a good idea to entrench or not to
      entrench, Grant's excusable or unexcuseable absence from the front,
      whether he purposely lied when he stated Sherman had been severly
      wounded, etc... all seem to me to be various degrees of Monday
      morning quarterbacking that really miss the HUGE mistake. >>

      Somehow it comes to mind that it was Sherman that chose the location and to
      what side of the river that the army would eventually be placed. He stopped
      there briefly the first week of March on his way up the Tennessee looking for
      a suitable landing site. He went further up the river to close to Muscle
      Shoals and then came back to Pittsburg Landing arriving there on the 14th of
      March. On the 15th of March, the first troops disembarked which was the 1st
      Brigade of the 5th Division. They further marched to Shiloh Church were
      upon the first pickets set up around the perimeter of the church was the 40th
      Illinois.

      Apparently, although there was the bluff at Pittsburg Landing, it was more
      suitable than the opposite side of the river for the number of boats that
      would eventually arrive and dock there. In addition, they were not setting
      up a defensive site (which probably the other side of the river would be more
      suitable), but were setting up an offensive staging site knowing that Albert
      Sydney was at Corinth. This would allow the movement of troops towards
      Corinth without having to cross them across the river, but at the same time,
      it would allow ASJ a direct path as well, which as we all know he used. In
      the same thought, ASJ never intended to remain at Pittsburg Landing but to
      drive Grant into the river, collect as much supplies that he could, and then
      return to Corinth, also knowing that Buell was moving to strengthen Grant.

      Wayne
    • FLYNSWEDE@AOL.COM
      Message 58 of 58 , Jan 18, 2002
        In a message dated 1/18/02 6:31:10 PM Eastern Standard Time,
        theme_music@... writes:

        << At any rate, Smith commanded the expedition at the time Sherman
        landed at Pittsburg.

        Eric,
        At the time that Sherman with his flotilla and divisision went up the river
        to close to Muscle Shoals and then back to Pittsburg Landing, Smith was not
        with him. Smith might have chosen Sherman to do the scouting and commanded
        him in that manner, but the overall commander of the expedition was Sherman.
        Smith was still back in Savannah when Sherman landed.

        Wayne