Re: [civilwarwest] And more on Stand Watie

  • Susan Hudson
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 1, 2002
      The Treaty he signed can be read at http://www.yvwiiusdinvnohii.net/history/watie.html

      It is signed by Sent. Col A. C. Mathews Not Lt. Col. And W. H. Vance who was a  U. S. Vol. Commisioner

      Sue
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 1, 2002

        Sent: Tuesday, January 01, 2002 4:24 PM
        Subject: Re: [civilwarwest] Stand Watie

        Hi Ron,

        According to Civil War In The Ozarks (pg. 103):

        The war's last formal surrender of any sizeable force of Confederate troops took place in Indian Territory on June 23, 1865, when Brig. Gen. Stand Watie rode into the capital of the Choctaw Nation and surrendered his hard-riding Rebel warriors.

        Doesn't mention to whom the force was surrendered.  Addison?  Surely you have that info at your fingertips.  ;)

        Best regards and HAPPY NEW YEAR from SEK.

        Pat

        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 1, 2002