Stand Watie

  • buckshot_21102
    Message 1 of 10 , Jan 1, 2002
      Let me first take the opportunity to wish all of the members a Happy
      and Healthy New Year..... and to express my appreciation to those who
      who so freely give of their time and knowledge to this group. I'd
      like to hope I've been able to retain just a little what has gone
      over these lines over the last year.

      My question has to do with Brig. Gen. Stand Watie. Gen. Watie was the
      last Confederate General to surrender (June 23, '65) almost a month
      and a half after what is acknowledged as the last battle of the war
      (Palmetto Ranche, Tx. on May 13, 1865). I'm curious as to where Gen.
      Watie was at the time of his surrender and to whom did he surrender.

      Any help would be appreciated.

      Thanks and best regards
      Ron Church
      Manchester Md.
    • Mary Alice Pickett
      Message 2 of 10 , Jan 1, 2002
        Greetings Ron,

        Just as you, PapaP, GenP and MAP likewise wish all members of this esteemed group the happiest of New Years from our headquarters here in FL.  2002 is apt to be full of many new surprises when I am one to actually post a serious CW response on this forum!  {Now, no one go fainting or anything!!  (-:  }

        I looked up this information in Historical Times Illustrated Encyclopedia of the Civil War.  It says, "23 June 1865 ~ When the leaders of the Confederate Indians learned that the government in Richmond had fallen and the Eastern armies had been surrendered, they, too, began making their plans to seek peace with the Federal government.  The chiefs convened the Grand Council 15 June and passed resolutions calling for Indian commanders to lay down their arms and for emissaries to approach Federal authorities for peace terms.  The largest force in Indian Territory was commanded by Confederate Brig. Gen. Stand Watie, who was also a chief of the Cherokee Nation.  Dedicated to the Confederate cause and unwilling to admit defeat, he kept his troops in the field for nearly a month after Lt. Gen. E. Kirby Smith surrendered the Trans-Mississippi 26 May.  Finally accepting the futility of continued resistance, on 23 June Watie rode into Doaksville near Fort Towson in Indian Territory and surrendered his battalion of Creek, Seminole, Cherokee, and Osage Indians to Lt. Col. Asa C. Matthews, appointed a few weeks earlier to negotiate a peace with the Indians.  Watie was the last Confederate general officer to surrender his command."

        To quote a dear friend, "Of course, I could be wrong",....but only if the editor of this book is or of I missed something as I typed this.  (-:

        Best always,

        Mary Alice, aka MAP, aka MAPster

        > Let me first take the opportunity to wish all of the members a Happy
        > and Healthy New Year..... and to express my appreciation to those who
        > who so freely give of their time and knowledge to this group.  I'd
        > like to hope I've been able to retain just a little what has gone
        > over these lines over the last year.
        >
        > My
        question has to do with Brig. Gen. Stand Watie. Gen. Watie was the
        > last
        Confederate General to surrender (June 23, '65) almost a month
        > and a
        half after what is acknowledged as the last battle of the war
        > (Palmetto
        Ranche, Tx. on May 13, 1865).  I'm curious as to where Gen.
        > Watie
        was at the time of his surrender and to whom did he surrender.

        > Any help would be appreciated.
        >
        > Thanks and best
        regards

        ---------------------~-->
        > Tiny Wireless Camera under $80!

        Order Now! FREE VCR Commander!
        > Click Here - Only 1 Day Left!

        http://us.click.yahoo.com/WoOlbB/7.PDAA/ySSFAA/GmiolB/TM
        http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

      • P. B. Jones
        Message 3 of 10 , Jan 1, 2002
          Hi Ron,

          According to Civil War In The Ozarks (pg. 103):

          The war's last formal surrender of any sizeable force of Confederate troops took place in Indian Territory on June 23, 1865, when Brig. Gen. Stand Watie rode into the capital of the Choctaw Nation and surrendered his hard-riding Rebel warriors.

          Doesn't mention to whom the force was surrendered.  Addison?  Surely you have that info at your fingertips.  ;)

          Best regards and HAPPY NEW YEAR from SEK.

          Pat

          Message 4 of 10 , Jan 1, 2002
            Mary Alice, Susan, Pat
            Can't say thanks enuf, this is exactly what I needed......... and a picture to boot.

            Sure do appreciate it.
            Ron

            > Let me first take the opportunity to wish all of the members a Happy
            > and Healthy New Year..... and to express my appreciation to those who
            > who so freely give of their time and knowledge to this group.  I'd
            > like to hope I've been able to retain just a little what has gone
            > over these lines over the last year.
            >
            > My question has to do with Brig. Gen. Stand Watie. Gen. Watie was the
            > last Confederate General to surrender (June 23, '65) almost a month
            > and a half after what is acknowledged as the last battle of the war
            > (Palmetto Ranche, Tx. on May 13, 1865).  I'm curious as to where Gen.
            > Watie was at the time of his surrender and to whom did he surrender.
            >
            > Any help would be appreciated.
            >
            > Thanks and best regards
            > Ron Church
            > Manchester Md.

            > Tiny Wireless Camera under $80!
            > Order Now! FREE VCR Commander!
            > Click Here - Only 1 Day Left!

            http://us.click.yahoo.com/WoOlbB/7.PDAA/ySSFAA/GmiolB/TM
            http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

          • Susan Hudson
            Message 5 of 10 , Jan 1, 2002

              Sent: Tuesday, January 01, 2002 8:59 PM

              Mary Alice, Susan, Pat
              Can't say thanks enuf, this is exactly what I needed......... and a picture to boot.

              Sure do appreciate it.
              Ron

              I am just happy to have been able to contribute something.
              Could someone please tell me the difference between a Sent Col. and a Lt. Col. if there is any difference.

              Sue
            • CashG79@aol.com
              Message 6 of 10 , Jan 1, 2002
                In a message dated 1/1/2002 4:14:23 PM Hawaiian Standard Time,
                s_hudson82@... writes:

                << Could someone please tell me the difference between a Sent Col. and a
                Lt. Col. if there is any difference. >>

                A Lt Col is an actual rank. I don't know where you got Sent Col. Perhaps if
                we had some of the context in which you found it we could help decipher it.

                Regards,
                Cash
              • Susan Hudson
                Message 7 of 10 , Jan 1, 2002

                  Sent: Tuesday, January 01, 2002 10:31 PM

                  s_hudson82@... writes:

                  <<   Could someone please tell me the difference between a Sent Col. and a
                  Lt. Col. if there is any difference. >>

                  A Lt Col is an actual rank.  I don't know where you got Sent Col.  Perhaps if
                  we had some of the context in which you found it we could help decipher it.

                  Regards,
                  Cash
                  Evidently you did not read my earlier message nor did you follow the link I gave. In that case I will give you the link again and ask you to look at the signatures.

                  Sue

                • CashG79@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 10 , Jan 1, 2002

                    s_hudson82@... writes:

                    << Could someone please tell me the difference between a Sent Col. and a
                    Lt. Col. if there is any difference. >>

                    A Lt Col is an actual rank. I don't know where you got Sent Col. Perhaps
                    if
                    we had some of the context in which you found it we could help decipher it.

                    Regards,
                    Cash

                    Evidently you did not read my earlier message nor did you follow the link
                    I gave. In that case I will give you the link again and ask you to look at
                    the signatures.

                    http://www.yvwiiusdinvnohii.net/history/watie.html >>

                    Since the originals are not there, I'll assume whoever transcribed the
                    signatures did so in error.

                    Regards,
                    Cash
                  • Susan Hudson
                    Message 9 of 10 , Jan 1, 2002

                      Sent: Tuesday, January 01, 2002 10:49 PM

                      Since the originals are not there, I'll assume whoever transcribed the
                      signatures did so in error.

                      Regards,
                      Cash
                      Since no one that I have asked has ever heard Sent Col. I will also assume that it is an error. It appears both in the signature and the first paragraph of the treaty so at least they were consistant in their errors. <VBG>

                      Thank you

                      Sue
                    • hank9174
                      Message 10 of 10 , Jan 7, 2002
                        I would gusee that, depending on how one scrawls in cursive, 'Lieut'
                        can look like 'Sent'...

                        HankC