Re: Just how big a threat was French or British intervention anyway?

  • carlw4514
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 29, 2001
      Having read the entire thread up till now:
      1) I would say it's relevant enough, if Lincoln thought Stone's River
      essential to avoiding foreign recognition; and if it was possible New
      Orleans would have been retaken by the Confederacy, etc.
      2) I don't have too much to add except a question: Would foreign
      recognition have automatically meant foreign INTERVENTION? It seems to
      me that it is often automatically assumed that the former would bring
      the latter. Is there some reason to believe this?
      Carl
      --- In civilwarwest@y..., "aot1952" <wakefield1952@m...> wrote:
      > With the approach of the end of the year , I have been re-reading
      > some material on the Battle of Stone's River (Murfreesboro). As most
      > here know, Lincoln considered Rosecrans year ending victory at this
      > battle critically important. As I understand it Lincoln held this
      > belief because: of the defeats that had occurred in other threatres
      > earlier in the month (Chicksaw Bluffs, Holly Springs, and
      > Fredricksburg; the effective date of the Emancipation Proclamation;
      > sinking Northern war effort morale; and the victory's supposed
      > chilling effect upon British evaluation of possible diplomatic
      > recognition of the Confederacy.
      > My question to the group is just how decisive they think British and
      > French recognition would have been to the ultimate outcome of the
      war?
      > I certainly understand that such recognition would have probably
      > meant a radical reversal of the increasingly effective Union
      > blockade. However, I think that it is now generally throught that
      > internal distribution was just about as great a problem to the
      > Southern war effort as the actual blockage of European war materials
      > from entering Southern ports. I mean so what if British enfields are
      > stacked high on the docks of Mobile if they can not be delivered to
      > the trenchs in North Virginia?
      > I guess what I am asking is did the French and British really have
      > the land forces necessary to place in North America to reverse the
      > advance of Union forces? As I understand it British military
      thinking
      > at the time was to fight its various Victorian Wars with small
      > contigents of highly trained British regulars augumented with
      > colonial militia. Would the resulting 25,000 British /Canadian
      Army