Perseverance (was Lee)

  • L.A. Chambliss
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 4, 2000
      Cob makes a good point (we ARE supposed to be talking about "The Other Civil
      War" here) but that does not mean we have to dump this topic entirely. There
      are plenty of examples in the West of generals who shouldered on despite heavy
      odds, seemingy-impossible situations, etc.

      One such situation that has always puzzled me is Pemberton in Vicksburg. Once
      he got backed into the town, why did he not just surrender his forces
      immediately? What was the point of putting not only his men, but a fair sized
      civilian population, through the kind of privations they endured under the
      siege? Did he think he was tying Grant down and buying time for either relief
      to arrive or for Confederate forces to accomplish something elsewhere?

      Just wonderin'..... :-)

      Laurie "Xan" Chambliss

      cob2mo wrote:

      > As much as I admire Lee. Lets not forget that this forum is supposed to be
      > western theater. Lets talk about the real war not the war in the east. Lets
      > discuss the JO Shelby's and the Prices and the Lyon the Fremont. The Battle
      > at Wilson Creek aka Oak Hill. Shiloh, or Cornith Mobile etc. Now I will
      > shut up! Cobber

    • L.A. Chambliss
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 4, 2000