Re: [civilwarwest] Re: LEE

  • Mike Meno
    Message 1 of 12 , Jun 3 2:58 PM
      Jeff Sharaa's The Last Full Measure gives an excellent account of the last
      days. The plan towards the end was to make it to Danville where they could
      link up with Johnston by train. As long as there's an army in the field,
      they figured there was still a Confederacy.

      Your Obedient Servant,
      Mike Meno

      Message 2 of 12 , Jun 3 5:36 PM
        Lee was a man of great integrity, although I'm sure many families would have
        preferred that the war end around Petersburg, (Even though I have never been
        in the military, I'm 14) I believe that a soldier or officer, however tired
        of war they were, wanted to fight until absolutely everything was lost, a
        soldier's honor. Lee knew that the war was coming to an end, but he fought
        on, possibly hoping that God would grant him one last miracle (or something
        to that effect). Well, I hope I made sense.

        -Victor
      • aero1485@aol.com
        Message 3 of 12 , Jun 3 5:38 PM
          I also thought that Jeff Shaara (and his father, Michael), make great
          accounts of the days of the civil war. I personally thought that the end of
          the Last Full Measure was very emotional. Somethign sort of hit home.
        • Stephen D Wakefield
          Message 4 of 12 , Jun 3 6:32 PM
            I agree with my young friend Victor. As an American with special intereset
            in George Washington , I believe that Lee had to be thinking of Washington
            and the Continental Army at Valley Forge.. As bad as things looked at
            Petersburg . there were not as dark as at Valley Forge and ultimate victory
            was Washington's.
            JMO

          • aero1485@aol.com
            Message 5 of 12 , Jun 3 8:12 PM
              Looking at the human side of Lee, I would agree that he could have been
              thinking about Washington at Valley Forge. Many times in history, men have
              persevered over impossible odds. So...why would a man like Lee just give up
              without trying to overcome the odds?

              Victor
            • cob2mo
              Message 6 of 12 , Jun 4 6:36 PM
                As much as I admire Lee. Lets not forget that this forum is supposed to be
                western theater. Lets talk about the real war not the war in the east. Lets
                discuss the JO Shelby's and the Prices and the Lyon the Fremont. The Battle
                at Wilson Creek aka Oak Hill. Shiloh, or Cornith Mobile etc. Now I will
                shut up! Cobber
                >Looking at the human side of Lee, I would agree that he could have been
                >thinking about Washington at Valley Forge. Many times in history, men have
                >persevered over impossible odds. So...why would a man like Lee just give
                up
                >without trying to overcome the odds?
                >
                >Victor

                >Missing old school friends? Find them here:

              • cob2mo