Re: [civilwarwest] Re: LEE

  • Mike Meno
    Message 1 of 12 , Jun 3, 2000
      Jeff Sharaa's The Last Full Measure gives an excellent account of the last
      days. The plan towards the end was to make it to Danville where they could
      link up with Johnston by train. As long as there's an army in the field,
      they figured there was still a Confederacy.

      Your Obedient Servant,
      Mike Meno

    • Mike Meno

        Message 3 of 12 , Jun 3, 2000
          Lee was a man of great integrity, although I'm sure many families would have
          preferred that the war end around Petersburg, (Even though I have never been
          in the military, I'm 14) I believe that a soldier or officer, however tired
          of war they were, wanted to fight until absolutely everything was lost, a
          soldier's honor. Lee knew that the war was coming to an end, but he fought
          on, possibly hoping that God would grant him one last miracle (or something
          to that effect). Well, I hope I made sense.

          -Victor
        • aero1485@aol.com

            Message 5 of 12 , Jun 3, 2000
              I also thought that Jeff Shaara (and his father, Michael), make great
              accounts of the days of the civil war. I personally thought that the end of
              the Last Full Measure was very emotional. Somethign sort of hit home.
            • aero1485@aol.com
              Message 6 of 12 , Jun 3, 2000
                I also thought that Jeff Shaara (and his father, Michael), make great
                accounts of the days of the civil war. I personally thought that the end of
                the Last Full Measure was very emotional. Somethign sort of hit home.
              • Stephen D Wakefield
                Message 7 of 12 , Jun 3, 2000
                  I agree with my young friend Victor. As an American with special intereset
                  in George Washington , I believe that Lee had to be thinking of Washington
                  and the Continental Army at Valley Forge.. As bad as things looked at
                  Petersburg . there were not as dark as at Valley Forge and ultimate victory
                  was Washington's.
                  JMO
                  > Lee was a man of great integrity, although I'm sure many families would
                  have
                  > preferred that the war end around Petersburg, (Even though I have never
                  been
                  > in the military, I'm 14) I believe that a soldier or officer, however
                  tired
                  > of war they were, wanted to fight until absolutely everything was lost, a
                  > soldier's honor. Lee knew that the war was coming to an end, but he
                  fought
                  > on, possibly hoping that God would grant him one last miracle (or
                  something
                  > to that effect). Well, I hope I made sense.
                  >
                  > -Victor

                • Stephen D Wakefield

                  • aero1485@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 12 , Jun 3, 2000
                      Looking at the human side of Lee, I would agree that he could have been
                      thinking about Washington at Valley Forge. Many times in history, men have
                      persevered over impossible odds. So...why would a man like Lee just give up
                      without trying to overcome the odds?

                      Victor
                    • aero1485@aol.com

                        Message 11 of 12 , Jun 4, 2000
                          As much as I admire Lee. Lets not forget that this forum is supposed to be
                          western theater. Lets talk about the real war not the war in the east. Lets
                          discuss the JO Shelby's and the Prices and the Lyon the Fremont. The Battle
                          at Wilson Creek aka Oak Hill. Shiloh, or Cornith Mobile etc. Now I will
                          shut up! Cobber
                          >Looking at the human side of Lee, I would agree that he could have been
                          >thinking about Washington at Valley Forge. Many times in history, men have
                          >persevered over impossible odds. So...why would a man like Lee just give
                          up
                          >without trying to overcome the odds?
                          >
                          >Victor

                          >Missing old school friends? Find them here:

                        • cob2mo