LEE

  • mike west
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 3, 2000
      I always wonder with Lee's distinguished knowledge of
      tactics,
      and his awareness of the situation at Petersburg, why did he
      continue fighting? Surely he knew the war was lost. The western
      army was down to no more than 25,000, and hundreds were
      deserting to help their families. Even his army had its men
      leaving for home by the hundreds. It always seemed to me that
      the men lost at Petersburg and after were wasted. Don't get me
      wrong I love that old man, but I just don't understand what was
      going through his mind at that time. I've read letters he wrote to
      JD and his wife, but he didn't seem to come to the realization of
      the war being finished until he was completely surrounded, and
      only had about 8,000 men. If there is a book explaining his
      thought process at that time please list it or them. Thanks Mike
      West
    • mike west
        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 3, 2000
          --- In civilwarwest@egroups.com, "mike west" <grayback1@e...> wrote:
          > I always wonder with Lee's distinguished knowledge of
          > tactics,
          > and his awareness of the situation at Petersburg, why did he
          > continue fighting?
          IMHO
          He may have know the War was lost but, could not surrender until
          all his forces were gone, or all his ammo used up, and he was
          completely surrounded. Lee was from West Point, and there they were
          taught that a General did not surrender until these conditions were
          met or he could be tried for treason. I know that that was probably a
          moot point at this time in the conflict, but you have to remember
          that
          Lee lived under a Code of Honor, and to have surrendered too early or
          at all was to shame his name and family and his country. The only
          person that could tell him to lay down his arms was Davis.
          The same held true for the other armies in the field.
          There are (supposed to be)approximately 26,300 on the Appomatox
          Roster that surrendered with Lee. (I had 3 family members that I know
          of so far, on that list.)
        • mobile_96
          Message 4 of 4 , Jun 3, 2000