Re: John Bell Hood and you thought Bragg was bad.

  • Dave Smith
    Message 1 of 57 , Dec 3, 2001
      --- In civilwarwest@y..., LWhite64@a... wrote:
      > Well I also feel a little sorry for Hood, sorry that he was one of
      the 2% to survive a amputation at the hip. Now I know this sounds
      bad, but if Hood had died from his wound at Chickamauga he would be
      enshrined along with Jackson and Stuart. Instead his reputation feel
      into the abyss.

      Kind of like what would have happened with Longstreet had he died at
      the Wilderness.

      Of course, by war's end, most everyone with a hand in things at
      Gettysburg would have been dead, so whom do they blame now?

      Oops, horribly drifting off topic - back to the Western grind . . .

      Dave
    • carlw4514
      Message 57 of 57 , Dec 6, 2001
        One of the functions of cavalry is gathering intelligence on the
        position of the enemy. McCook must have accomplished this at least.
        Did this not put the attack in jeoparday? (I'm asking, I don't know)
        Carl
        PS: ngeorgia.com doesnt seem to have much on Cassville, and unless I
        am greatly mistaken you are a contributor there. Of course, it was the
        battle that never happened. Am I missing what they have on it?