Re: [civilwarwest] Flag Talk

  • Dick Weeks
    Message 1 of 8 , May 27, 2000
      Mike,

      This describes the feeling of the Confederates about as good as I have seen.
          The very heart of the Confederate fighting unit was its flag, which came in a variety of designs and colors. The flag was the rallying point on the field of battle; it marked the unit headquarters in camp. In the South in 1861, at the outbreak of the Civil War, Private Sam Watkins of the 1st Tennessee Infantry Regiment recalled: "Flags made by the ladies were presented to companies, and to hear the young orators tell of how they would protect the flag, and that they would come back with the flag or come not at all, and if they fell they would fall with their backs to the field and their feet to the foe, would fairly make our hair stand on end with intense patriotism, and we wanted to march right off and whip twenty Yankees." And in 1865, at the war's end, it was the furling of the defeated Confederate banners that marked the final closing of that episode in history. "For want of strength," sang Confederate veterans in their song Wearing of the Gray, "we yield them up the day, and lower the flag so proudly borne, while wearing of the gray."

      Dick (a.k.a. Shotgun)

      Message 2 of 8 , May 27, 2000
        Mr. West:

        Union soldiers habitually referred to their national flag as "God's flag"
        (and to their country as "God's country"); soldiers on both sides invested a
        great deal of emotion in their unit flags, which was why they took such
        risks to plant them on the enemy's territory, why so many color-bearers were
        killed, and why -- as "Shotgun" notes for the Confederates -- it was so
        wrenching to have to give up the colors, i.e., surrender.

        >I looking for information on what the average Civil War soldier
        >thought of his flag. His company, regimental, divisional, or
        >national flags. It can be North or South that really doesn't
        >matter.
        >Thanks Mike West

      • M. E. Heatherington
        Message 3 of 8 , May 27, 2000
          Mr. West:

          Union soldiers habitually referred to their national flag as "God's flag"
          (and to their country as "God's country"); soldiers on both sides invested a
          great deal of emotion in their unit flags, which was why they took such
          risks to plant them on the enemy's territory, why so many color-bearers were
          killed, and why -- as "Shotgun" notes for the Confederates -- it was so
          wrenching to have to give up the colors, i.e., surrender.

          >I looking for information on what the average Civil War soldier
          >thought of his flag. His company, regimental, divisional, or
          >national flags. It can be North or South that really doesn't
          >matter.
          >Thanks Mike West

        • mike west
          Message 4 of 8 , May 27, 2000
            Thank for this information I have printed it out and will keep it. Mike West
            FREE! The World's Best Email Address @...
          • mike west
            Message 5 of 8 , May 27, 2000
              Message 6 of 8 , May 27, 2000
                Union soldiers habitually referred to their national flag as "God's flag"
                (and to their country as "God's country"); soldiers on both sides invested a
                great deal of emotion in their unit flags, which was why they took such
                risks to plant them on the enemy's territory, why so many color-bearers were
                killed, and why -- as "Shotgun" notes for the Confederates -- it was so
                wrenching to have to give up the colors, i.e., surrender.

                >I looking for information on what the average Civil War soldier
                >thought of his flag. His company, regimental, divisional, or
                >national flags. It can be North or South that really doesn't
                >matter.
                >Thanks Mike West

                _I'd never heard of the Union flag having the name God's Flag. I love it when I learn something new. Thank you very much. Mike West

                http://click.egroups.com/1/4633/3/_/14182/_/959458012/
                Message 7 of 8 , May 27, 2000