Re: [civilwarwest] Re: CW Christmas

  • Aurelie1999@aol.com
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 2, 2001
      Near Brandy Station Va Dec 27, 1863

      "Dear Folks at Home,
      As today is Sunday and I have a little spare time I will send you a few lines
      before the close of the year. I hope you all have passed a very pleasant
      Christmas & wish you a happy New Year.

      I received the things you sent to me & was very glad to receive them; I am
      sorry to say some of the articles were a little damaged. The cakes made me
      think of the last time I was at home when you were baking for Christmas; I
      suppose Ma remembers very well what an important part I performed in
      inspecting the majority of the pans full. The apples were very nice -- also
      the part of the peaches I got.

      Christmas was quite a dull day here & if it had not been for the "folks at
      home" we would hardly have known that it was a holiday. On Christmas our
      Brigade received about 8 wagon loads of Express packages & such a profusion
      of turkeys, chickens, ducks, cakes of all kinds, jellies, candies, apples &c
      I hardly expected to see on "Old Virginia."

      We kept open until noon, I then passed the balance of the day over at the
      Regiment with Capt. France. I suppose I must give you a description of our
      Christmas dinner. Our drink was tea, sweetened to taste with white sugar &
      milk: good fresh bread, butter, 3 kinds of jellies, 4 kinds of cakes, mince &
      cherry pies, & candies. The day was very pleasant; clear but cold. I often
      thought of you all & wondered what you were doing. Part of the time I would
      have known where to have found you. I suppose Genie enjoyed himself with his
      cakes & candies? So much for that."

      First Lieutenant Rufus Ricksecker
      The 126th Ohio Volunteer Infantry
    • FLYNSWEDE@AOL.COM
      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 4, 2001
        In a message dated 12/2/01 5:33:15 PM Eastern Standard Time,
        tjjack9@... writes:

        << Probably. But that is the most famous one. Next time you go to
        Fredericksburg, ask about it at the V.C.

        Another was at Dalton, GA in Jan 64. At that one, even JEJ got hit by one
        flying missile. Needless to say, the troops were told to improve their aim
        in the future.

        Wayne