Re: [civilwarwest] Re: CW Christmas

  • Kristin Scherrer
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 2, 2001

      I'm sure there were several snow ball fights, but recorded and unrecorded.

      Kristin

      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 2, 2001

        Sent: Sunday, December 02, 2001 5:28 PM

        I'm sure there were several snow ball fights, but recorded and unrecorded.

        Kristin

          Kristen;

        Probably. But that is the most famous one. Next time you go to Fredericksburg, ask about it at the V.C.

        T.J.

      • Aurelie1999@aol.com
        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 2, 2001
          Near Brandy Station Va Dec 27, 1863

          "Dear Folks at Home,
          As today is Sunday and I have a little spare time I will send you a few lines
          before the close of the year. I hope you all have passed a very pleasant
          Christmas & wish you a happy New Year.

          I received the things you sent to me & was very glad to receive them; I am
          sorry to say some of the articles were a little damaged. The cakes made me
          think of the last time I was at home when you were baking for Christmas; I
          suppose Ma remembers very well what an important part I performed in
          inspecting the majority of the pans full. The apples were very nice -- also
          the part of the peaches I got.

          Christmas was quite a dull day here & if it had not been for the "folks at
          home" we would hardly have known that it was a holiday. On Christmas our
          Brigade received about 8 wagon loads of Express packages & such a profusion
          of turkeys, chickens, ducks, cakes of all kinds, jellies, candies, apples &c
          I hardly expected to see on "Old Virginia."

          We kept open until noon, I then passed the balance of the day over at the
          Regiment with Capt. France. I suppose I must give you a description of our
          Christmas dinner. Our drink was tea, sweetened to taste with white sugar &
          milk: good fresh bread, butter, 3 kinds of jellies, 4 kinds of cakes, mince &
          cherry pies, & candies. The day was very pleasant; clear but cold. I often
          thought of you all & wondered what you were doing. Part of the time I would
          have known where to have found you. I suppose Genie enjoyed himself with his
          cakes & candies? So much for that."

          First Lieutenant Rufus Ricksecker
          The 126th Ohio Volunteer Infantry
        • FLYNSWEDE@AOL.COM
          Message 4 of 7 , Dec 4, 2001
            In a message dated 12/2/01 5:33:15 PM Eastern Standard Time,
            tjjack9@... writes:

            << Probably. But that is the most famous one. Next time you go to
            Fredericksburg, ask about it at the V.C.

            Another was at Dalton, GA in Jan 64. At that one, even JEJ got hit by one
            flying missile. Needless to say, the troops were told to improve their aim
            in the future.

            Wayne