Re: [civilwarwest] Re: CW Christmas

  • Kristin Scherrer
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 2, 2001

      This was also the Christmas( and I will have to find it written down) where the two sides sang Christmas carols over the lines to eachother and had a snow ball fight.  But again, I will try to find the story for ya'll.

      Kristin

        ecm777@... wrote:

      I thought it would be interesting for us to share Civil War Christmas stories that we know.  So, here is the one I just read this week about my hometown in a local magazine.

      Christmas 1863 - Chattanooga

      After Union forces successfully raised the siege of Chattanooga, forcing the Confederates to retreat toward Atlanta, our city remained under military occupation for the rest of the war.  Government was by martial law.

      Presbyterian minister Thomas H. McCallie wrote. "I shall never forget the Christmas of 1863.  Christmas Eve came.  All without was winter.  It was winter in the city and winter in the State.  War had desolated everything.  Our church was still used for a hospital and no bell rang out on the air telling us of God, His house, His worship.  There was no Sunday school.  There was no day school...The old citizens had gone to the South or been sent to the North.  Only a few families remained and they very infrequently saw each other.  There were no stores open, no markets of any kind, no carriages on the streets....Strangers filled our streets, highways and houses.  The rattle of spurs of the officers and the tramp of soldiers fell constantly on our ears.  The town was white with tents; tents, tents everywhere...It was winter in the home except for a few precious rays of sunshine.  We had no milk, no butter, no cheese, scarcely any fruit; but we had bacon, bread, such as could be made without milk or yeast, a little coffee, some sugar and a barrel of pickles in brine, but no vinegar to put with them..."

      Sure a sad Christmas indeed.  We can be thankful we have never known one like it.  Hope others have some stories to share.....I know Connie does....she is such a wealth of information! :-)

      Merry Christmas ya'll
      Colleen aka CWgal

      Do You Yahoo!?

    • Tjjack
      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 2, 2001

        This was also the Christmas( and I will have to find it written down) where the two sides sang Christmas carols over the lines to eachother and had a snow ball fight.  But again, I will try to find the story for ya'll.

        Kristin

        Try the aftermath of the Battle of Fredericksburg. The Great Snowball Battle was strickly a Confederate thing though. No Yankees.

        T.J.

      • Kristin Scherrer
        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 2, 2001

          I'm sure there were several snow ball fights, but recorded and unrecorded.

          Kristin

          Message 4 of 7 , Dec 2, 2001

            Message 5 of 7 , Dec 2, 2001
              Near Brandy Station Va Dec 27, 1863

              "Dear Folks at Home,
              As today is Sunday and I have a little spare time I will send you a few lines
              before the close of the year. I hope you all have passed a very pleasant
              Christmas & wish you a happy New Year.

              I received the things you sent to me & was very glad to receive them; I am
              sorry to say some of the articles were a little damaged. The cakes made me
              think of the last time I was at home when you were baking for Christmas; I
              suppose Ma remembers very well what an important part I performed in
              inspecting the majority of the pans full. The apples were very nice -- also
              the part of the peaches I got.

              Christmas was quite a dull day here & if it had not been for the "folks at
              home" we would hardly have known that it was a holiday. On Christmas our
              Brigade received about 8 wagon loads of Express packages & such a profusion
              of turkeys, chickens, ducks, cakes of all kinds, jellies, candies, apples &c
              I hardly expected to see on "Old Virginia."

              We kept open until noon, I then passed the balance of the day over at the
              Regiment with Capt. France. I suppose I must give you a description of our
              Christmas dinner. Our drink was tea, sweetened to taste with white sugar &
              milk: good fresh bread, butter, 3 kinds of jellies, 4 kinds of cakes, mince &
              cherry pies, & candies. The day was very pleasant; clear but cold. I often
              thought of you all & wondered what you were doing. Part of the time I would
              have known where to have found you. I suppose Genie enjoyed himself with his
              cakes & candies? So much for that."

              First Lieutenant Rufus Ricksecker
              The 126th Ohio Volunteer Infantry
            • FLYNSWEDE@AOL.COM
              Message 6 of 7 , Dec 4, 2001
                In a message dated 12/2/01 5:33:15 PM Eastern Standard Time,
                tjjack9@... writes:

                << Probably. But that is the most famous one. Next time you go to
                Fredericksburg, ask about it at the V.C.

                Another was at Dalton, GA in Jan 64. At that one, even JEJ got hit by one
                flying missile. Needless to say, the troops were told to improve their aim
                in the future.

                Wayne