Re: Leadership/Commanders

  • Dave Smith
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 29, 2001
      --- In civilwarwest@y..., thecoys@k... wrote:
      > This discussion of leadership and command brings to my mind some
      > questions that may or may not be answerable.
      >
      > 1) What made Robert E. Lee great and Braxton Bragg not so great and
      > our number one general to pick on? When comparing the two can
      > Bragg be considered as good a leader as Lee? Was Bragg as good a
      > commander as Lee?

      We're treading on thin ice here, hopefully Shotgun will pass a
      benevolent smile on these procedings . . .

      Egads, what a question. But I'd suggest, simply that Lee had
      unbelievably good interpersonal skills, which allowed him to learn
      and develop outstanding leadership skills.

      No, Bragg couldn't hold Lee's epaulletes (sp?).

      > 2) Does appointment to command automatically make you successful
      > commander and or leader? The infamous Peter Principle....is it not
      > applicable to military?

      Of course not to the former, and of course to the latter.

      > 3) Does success as a leader and commander at the regiment level
      > make you automatically successful as a division commander? Success
      > at division make you successful at the corps level?

      Oh course not, again. See JB Hood, AP Hill, etc.

      Dave

      Dave Smith
      Villa Hills, KY