Re: [civilwarwest] Military Dictionary

  • adco12@mindspring.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 29, 2001
      Henry Scott was Winfield Scott's "military secretary" -- a sort of chief of staff -- and the book is a marvelous collection of information on various topics and provides the semi-official wisdom of 1860-1861.

      BTW, Henry was not a blood relation of Winfield. But Henry did marry Winfield's daughter! He retired in 1861 and then later resigned, dropping his retirment pay. I suspect he was one of those Regular Army officers who opposed secession but also could not totally support the Union.

      Bob
      civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com wrote:
      > I came across this Making of America document. Not my kind of reading, but
      have no doubt many of you may think it is military manna from heaven. If you
      haven't already discovered it, here it is. Since reading it would put me
      into a deep coma, I have not tried and haven't a clue if it has any value.

      Title: Military dictionary: comprising technical definitions; information on
      raising and keeping troops; actual service, including makeshifts and improved
      material;
      Author: Scott, Henry Lee, Publication Date: 1861
      City: New York, Publisher: D. Van Nostrand, Pages: 674

      <A TARGET="Link" HREF="http://moa.umdl.umich.edu/cgi/sgml/moa-idx?notisid=AEK7340">Military
      Dictionary</A> or http://moa.umdl.umich.edu/cgi/sgml/moa-idx?notisid=AEK7340

      Connie