17th and 31st Ohio volunteer Inf. at Chickamauga.

  • jstinchcomb@excite.com
    Message 1 of 4 , May 5, 2000
      Greetings to all;

      I have been reading the "History of Fairfield and Perry Counties" by
      A.A. Graham, pub.1883. In it Mr. Graham makes reference to the second
      Battle line, made by the union troops under Gen. Thomas, repulsing
      multiple attacks by Confederate Gen. Longstreets men at Chickamauga.
      He names my G-G-Grandfather(Capt. James W. Stinchcomb Co. B.,17th
      Ohio) by name, as being "mentioned Handsomely" by Gen. Thomas in his
      after action report. I cannot find James Stinchcombs name in the
      official report made by Gen. Thomas to Gen. Garfield. Is there more
      than one report?
      However, I have found him mentioned in a report to higher authority
      by Gen. Beatty. Gen. Beatty praises James along with seven other
      officers for their "Higher order of Heroism" and "as men who deserve
      the gratitude of the Nation for an exhibition on this occasion of
      Determined Courage which I believe unsurpassed in the history of the
      rebellion"
      I'm still looking for the report mentioned by A.A. Graham. Does it
      exist? It would be nice to have for my Biography of Major James W.
      Stinchcomb.(he was promoted Major Jan.5,1864)
      Thank You.
      John S. Stinchcomb
    • jstinchcomb@excite.com

        Message 3 of 4 , May 7, 2000
          --- In civilwarwest@egroups.com, jstinchcomb@e... wrote:
          > Greetings to all;
          >
          > I have been reading the "History of Fairfield and Perry Counties"
          by
          > A.A. Graham, pub.1883. In it Mr. Graham makes reference to the
          second
          > Battle line, made by the union troops under Gen. Thomas, repulsing
          > multiple attacks by Confederate Gen. Longstreets men at
          Chickamauga.
          > He names my G-G-Grandfather(Capt. James W. Stinchcomb Co. B.,17th
          > Ohio) by name, as being "mentioned Handsomely" by Gen. Thomas in
          his
          > after action report. I cannot find James Stinchcombs name in the
          > official report made by Gen. Thomas to Gen. Garfield. Is there more
          > than one report?.....
          >
          > John S. Stinchcomb

          John,
          I searched the Guild Press CDROM of the ORs and found five references
          to a Capt Stinchomb including the Beatty report but, like you, found
          no mention by General Thomas. It's beginning to look like the Graham
          reference is incorrect. Best regards, Dave
        • David Mercado
          Message 4 of 4 , May 7, 2000