Re: [civilwarwest] Re: Short off topic question

  • Jenny Holder
    Message 1 of 11 , Nov 9, 2001
      Bob,
      You know, I am such a glutton ..here I am getting lots of information about
      recommended books and do you think I have the time to read them?? Have been
      bombarded with lots and I jotted them down, hoping that one day I would get
      to them.
      Now that I have cancelled my trip to USA because of the current terrorist
      situation, I won't be getting to the book stores...am aware of Amazon but I
      like to view the books before purchasing them.

      As for "rebels"..yes, they are rebels and Ozzies have an admiration for the
      rebellious streak ....as they too disliked the British authority..( a lot of
      Irish here).
      I was told that a lot of Oz supported the South because they empathised with
      the so called "under dogs"...now I got that impression from the ACWRTA
      conference in July .
      Gosh! I am "off topic" here in the CWW..my apology.
      Jenny

      > Jenny, you beat me to it. I was going to mention Anderson's Crucible of
      War as
      > a prelude to events leading up to the American Revolution. They're still
      > bunch of rebels<g>!
      >
      > Bob "in Canada's Capital" Taubman

      Revolution,
      > | " Crucible of War" Fred Anderson, and "Cousin in War" which gave a good
      > | review of Anglo Am history 1630 to 1865.
      > |
      > | So "Carnage and Culture" by Hanson is another recommended one .
      > |
      > | BTW, it was brought to my attention about the Cavaliers being on
      American

      http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

      Message 2 of 11 , Nov 9, 2001
        Bob,
        I have heard of a new analogy ( new to me anyway)regarding America having
        been "balkanised" because of the melting pot of people in even during the
        times of the Rev War and ACW.
        I have been reflecting on that and perhaps it might be too severe for those
        periods. Will have to think about that.
        Jenny