Re: [civilwarwest] Re: Short off topic question

  • Jenny Holder
    Message 1 of 11 , Nov 9, 2001
      Now we have to "triumph" the extremist Talibans. Hadn't heard Bush's recent
      speech but it was supposed to have "uplifted" the spirits of you American
      people.. very touching too.
      Regarding, despots, dictators, I had recently come across an article about
      Wilkes Booth's mental state when he assassinated Lincoln.
      Apparentally, he was obsessed with the idea that Lincoln was a "tryrant" and
      also known as "Father Abraham" .He repressed his envy and hatred of his
      brother/father. This repression of his led him to kill Lincoln as he
      thought that he was a tyrant who would become king and destroy the South.
      An interesting angle.
      Jenny

      > Triumph over despots and dictators: Hope for our times, Hank?
      >
      > --- In civilwarwest@y..., clarkc@m... wrote:
      > >
      > > A better book I believe, with a broader perspective, is Hanson's
      > > 'Carnage & Culture' which studies the rise of western miltary
      > > supremacy since the Greeks loosely based on the idea that free men
      > > fighting for lofty principles will eventually triumph over despots
      > and
      > > dictators.
      > >

      > > HankC

    • Robert Taubman
      Message 2 of 11 , Nov 9, 2001
        Jenny, you beat me to it. I was going to mention Anderson's Crucible of War as
        a prelude to events leading up to the American Revolution. They're still a
        bunch of rebels<g>!

        Bob "in Canada's Capital" Taubman
        Message 3 of 11 , Nov 9, 2001
          Bob,
          You know, I am such a glutton ..here I am getting lots of information about
          recommended books and do you think I have the time to read them?? Have been
          bombarded with lots and I jotted them down, hoping that one day I would get
          to them.
          Now that I have cancelled my trip to USA because of the current terrorist
          situation, I won't be getting to the book stores...am aware of Amazon but I
          like to view the books before purchasing them.

          As for "rebels"..yes, they are rebels and Ozzies have an admiration for the
          rebellious streak ....as they too disliked the British authority..( a lot of
          Irish here).
          I was told that a lot of Oz supported the South because they empathised with
          the so called "under dogs"...now I got that impression from the ACWRTA
          conference in July .
          Gosh! I am "off topic" here in the CWW..my apology.
          Jenny

          http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

          Message 4 of 11 , Nov 9, 2001
            Bob,
            I have heard of a new analogy ( new to me anyway)regarding America having
            been "balkanised" because of the melting pot of people in even during the
            times of the Rev War and ACW.
            I have been reflecting on that and perhaps it might be too severe for those
            periods. Will have to think about that.
            Jenny