Re: [civilwarwest] Re: Short off topic question

  • Jenny Holder
    Message 1 of 11 , Nov 9, 2001
      Hank,
      I haven't read it myself but I gather that this book is justa mere
      comparison..not to compare , for example...Lee or Grant.
      Jenny

      > A better book I believe, with a broader perspective, is Hanson's
      > 'Carnage & Culture' which studies the rise of western miltary
      > supremacy since the Greeks loosely based on the idea that free men
      > fighting for lofty principles will eventually triumph over despots and
      > dictators.
      >

      > HankC
      >
      > --- In civilwarwest@y..., "Jenny Holder" <jholder@i...> wrote:
      > > Hi everyone,
      > > Just a short question. Would the ACW be considered as the ACWII
      > seeing that the Americans during the Revolutionary War were really
      > British, therefore equivalent to what the English in Cromwell's time.
      > > Have heard that there was a book called "Cousin's War" by ?Kevin
      > Nelson?
      > > Just a thought even if this is off the Western Theatre topic.
      > > Jenny

    • Jenny Holder
      Message 2 of 11 , Nov 9, 2001
        Now we have to "triumph" the extremist Talibans. Hadn't heard Bush's recent
        speech but it was supposed to have "uplifted" the spirits of you American
        people.. very touching too.
        Regarding, despots, dictators, I had recently come across an article about
        Wilkes Booth's mental state when he assassinated Lincoln.
        Apparentally, he was obsessed with the idea that Lincoln was a "tryrant" and
        also known as "Father Abraham" .He repressed his envy and hatred of his
        brother/father. This repression of his led him to kill Lincoln as he
        thought that he was a tyrant who would become king and destroy the South.
        An interesting angle.
        Jenny

        > Triumph over despots and dictators: Hope for our times, Hank?
        >
        > --- In civilwarwest@y..., clarkc@m... wrote:
        > >
        > > A better book I believe, with a broader perspective, is Hanson's
        > > 'Carnage & Culture' which studies the rise of western miltary
        > > supremacy since the Greeks loosely based on the idea that free men
        > > fighting for lofty principles will eventually triumph over despots
        > and
        > > dictators.
        > >

        > > HankC

      • Robert Taubman
        Message 3 of 11 , Nov 9, 2001
          Jenny, you beat me to it. I was going to mention Anderson's Crucible of War as
          a prelude to events leading up to the American Revolution. They're still a
          bunch of rebels<g>!

          Bob "in Canada's Capital" Taubman
          Message 4 of 11 , Nov 9, 2001
            Bob,
            You know, I am such a glutton ..here I am getting lots of information about
            recommended books and do you think I have the time to read them?? Have been
            bombarded with lots and I jotted them down, hoping that one day I would get
            to them.
            Now that I have cancelled my trip to USA because of the current terrorist
            situation, I won't be getting to the book stores...am aware of Amazon but I
            like to view the books before purchasing them.

            As for "rebels"..yes, they are rebels and Ozzies have an admiration for the
            rebellious streak ....as they too disliked the British authority..( a lot of
            Irish here).
            I was told that a lot of Oz supported the South because they empathised with
            the so called "under dogs"...now I got that impression from the ACWRTA
            conference in July .
            Gosh! I am "off topic" here in the CWW..my apology.
            Jenny

            http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

            Message 5 of 11 , Nov 9, 2001
              Bob,
              I have heard of a new analogy ( new to me anyway)regarding America having
              been "balkanised" because of the melting pot of people in even during the
              times of the Rev War and ACW.
              I have been reflecting on that and perhaps it might be too severe for those
              periods. Will have to think about that.
              Jenny