Re: [civilwarwest] Re: Short off topic question

  • Jenny Holder
    Message 1 of 11 , Nov 9, 2001
      Thank you, yes, I did misquote the name of the author.
      Was recommended to read "Long Fuse" ...a good prospective on Am Revolution,
      " Crucible of War" Fred Anderson, and "Cousin in War" which gave a good
      review of Anglo Am history 1630 to 1865.

      So "Carnage and Culture" by Hanson is another recommended one .

      BTW, it was brought to my attention about the Cavaliers being on American
      soil during Cromwell's time in UK. Interesting as I didn't ever hear about
      it.
      Am learning every day
      Jenny

      > Kevin Philips makes fair work of tying together many themes in his
      > book, "The Cousin's Wars". Frankly, I believe he could have covered
      > more in half the pages; he spends a lot of effort with labored
      > comparisons of Yankees, Rebels, Tories, cavaliers and roundheads.
      >
      > A better book I believe, with a broader perspective, is Hanson's
      > 'Carnage & Culture' which studies the rise of western miltary
      > supremacy since the Greeks loosely based on the idea that free men
      > fighting for lofty principles will eventually triumph over despots and
      > dictators.
      >

      > HankC
      >
      > --- In civilwarwest@y..., "Jenny Holder" <jholder@i...> wrote:
      > > Hi everyone,
      > > Just a short question. Would the ACW be considered as the ACWII
      > seeing that the Americans during the Revolutionary War were really
      > British, therefore equivalent to what the English in Cromwell's time.
      > > Have heard that there was a book called "Cousin's War" by ?Kevin
      > Nelson?
      > > Just a thought even if this is off the Western Theatre topic.
      > > Jenny

    • Jenny Holder
      Message 2 of 11 , Nov 9, 2001
        Hank,
        I haven't read it myself but I gather that this book is justa mere
        comparison..not to compare , for example...Lee or Grant.
        Jenny

        > A better book I believe, with a broader perspective, is Hanson's
        > 'Carnage & Culture' which studies the rise of western miltary
        > supremacy since the Greeks loosely based on the idea that free men
        > fighting for lofty principles will eventually triumph over despots and
        > dictators.
        >

        > HankC
        >
        > --- In civilwarwest@y..., "Jenny Holder" <jholder@i...> wrote:
        > > Hi everyone,
        > > Just a short question. Would the ACW be considered as the ACWII
        > seeing that the Americans during the Revolutionary War were really
        > British, therefore equivalent to what the English in Cromwell's time.
        > > Have heard that there was a book called "Cousin's War" by ?Kevin
        > Nelson?
        > > Just a thought even if this is off the Western Theatre topic.
        > > Jenny

      • Jenny Holder
        Message 3 of 11 , Nov 9, 2001
          Now we have to "triumph" the extremist Talibans. Hadn't heard Bush's recent
          speech but it was supposed to have "uplifted" the spirits of you American
          people.. very touching too.
          Regarding, despots, dictators, I had recently come across an article about
          Wilkes Booth's mental state when he assassinated Lincoln.
          Apparentally, he was obsessed with the idea that Lincoln was a "tryrant" and
          also known as "Father Abraham" .He repressed his envy and hatred of his
          brother/father. This repression of his led him to kill Lincoln as he
          thought that he was a tyrant who would become king and destroy the South.
          An interesting angle.
          Jenny

          > Triumph over despots and dictators: Hope for our times, Hank?
          >
          > --- In civilwarwest@y..., clarkc@m... wrote:
          > >
          > > A better book I believe, with a broader perspective, is Hanson's
          > > 'Carnage & Culture' which studies the rise of western miltary
          > > supremacy since the Greeks loosely based on the idea that free men
          > > fighting for lofty principles will eventually triumph over despots
          > and
          > > dictators.
          > >

          > > HankC

        • Robert Taubman
          Message 4 of 11 , Nov 9, 2001
            Jenny, you beat me to it. I was going to mention Anderson's Crucible of War as
            a prelude to events leading up to the American Revolution. They're still a
            bunch of rebels<g>!

            Bob "in Canada's Capital" Taubman
            | Thank you, yes, I did misquote the name of the author.
            | Was recommended to read "Long Fuse" ...a good prospective on Am Revolution,
            | " Crucible of War" Fred Anderson, and "Cousin in War" which gave a good
            | review of Anglo Am history 1630 to 1865.
            |
            | So "Carnage and Culture" by Hanson is another recommended one .
            |
            | BTW, it was brought to my attention about the Cavaliers being on American
            | soil during Cromwell's time in UK. Interesting as I didn't ever hear about
            | it.
            | Am learning every day
            | Jenny
            |

            | > Kevin Philips makes fair work of tying together many themes in his
            | > book, "The Cousin's Wars". Frankly, I believe he could have covered
            | > more in half the pages; he spends a lot of effort with labored
            | > comparisons of Yankees, Rebels, Tories, cavaliers and roundheads.
            | >
            | > A better book I believe, with a broader perspective, is Hanson's
            | > 'Carnage & Culture' which studies the rise of western miltary
            | > supremacy since the Greeks loosely based on the idea that free men
            | > fighting for lofty principles will eventually triumph over despots and
            | > dictators.
            | >

            | > HankC
            | >
            | > --- In civilwarwest@y..., "Jenny Holder" <jholder@i...> wrote:
            | > > Hi everyone,
            | > > Just a short question. Would the ACW be considered as the ACWII
            | > seeing that the Americans during the Revolutionary War were really
            | > British, therefore equivalent to what the English in Cromwell's time.
            | > > Have heard that there was a book called "Cousin's War" by ?Kevin
            | > Nelson?
            | > > Just a thought even if this is off the Western Theatre topic.
            | > > Jenny

          • Jenny Holder
            Message 5 of 11 , Nov 9, 2001
              Bob,
              You know, I am such a glutton ..here I am getting lots of information about
              recommended books and do you think I have the time to read them?? Have been
              bombarded with lots and I jotted them down, hoping that one day I would get
              to them.
              Now that I have cancelled my trip to USA because of the current terrorist
              situation, I won't be getting to the book stores...am aware of Amazon but I
              like to view the books before purchasing them.

              As for "rebels"..yes, they are rebels and Ozzies have an admiration for the
              rebellious streak ....as they too disliked the British authority..( a lot of
              Irish here).
              I was told that a lot of Oz supported the South because they empathised with
              the so called "under dogs"...now I got that impression from the ACWRTA
              conference in July .
              Gosh! I am "off topic" here in the CWW..my apology.
              Jenny

              http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

              Message 6 of 11 , Nov 9, 2001
                Bob,
                I have heard of a new analogy ( new to me anyway)regarding America having
                been "balkanised" because of the melting pot of people in even during the
                times of the Rev War and ACW.
                I have been reflecting on that and perhaps it might be too severe for those
                periods. Will have to think about that.
                Jenny