Re: Short off topic question

  • carlw4514@yahoo.com
    Message 1 of 11 , Nov 9, 2001
      Triumph over despots and dictators: Hope for our times, Hank?

      --- In civilwarwest@y..., clarkc@m... wrote:

      > A better book I believe, with a broader perspective, is Hanson's
      > 'Carnage & Culture' which studies the rise of western miltary
      > supremacy since the Greeks loosely based on the idea that free men
      > fighting for lofty principles will eventually triumph over despots
      and
      > dictators.
      >

      > HankC
    • Jenny Holder
      Message 2 of 11 , Nov 9, 2001
        Thank you for your comment. Am not well versed in many areas of your
        Revolutionary War and your ACW but this was brought to my attention
        recently about being called the ACWII . IT was Kevin Phillips' book "The
        Cousin's War" not Kevin Nelson's which I misquoted.

        > I would believe the ACW to be ACWII because if you read some of the
        history
        > behind the british troops, you will see that most lived in America

        Yes, there were battles between rebel and loyalist militia men who weren't
        involved with British troops.

        > from Britain and Americans who enjoyed the life they were in and were
        willing
        > to pay the few extra cents for tea and paper documents to keep the peace.

        From what I know so far, it is not really "tea and paper" documents. It is
        deeper than that with the emerging cultural, religious, political and
        economic divergence .
        I think the tax on tea by the British was so minute that it wasn't that at
        all, however, it was enough to inflame it.
        I believe that one had to drink huge amount of tea in a year to feel the
        "tax" pinch on tea.
        Am going to read further on McPherson's book..."Battle Cry of Freedom" as he
        dealt wholistically about the ACW...., a good start to develop the overall
        view.

        Jenny
      • Jenny Holder
        Message 3 of 11 , Nov 9, 2001
          Thank you, yes, I did misquote the name of the author.
          Was recommended to read "Long Fuse" ...a good prospective on Am Revolution,
          " Crucible of War" Fred Anderson, and "Cousin in War" which gave a good
          review of Anglo Am history 1630 to 1865.

          So "Carnage and Culture" by Hanson is another recommended one .

          BTW, it was brought to my attention about the Cavaliers being on American
          soil during Cromwell's time in UK. Interesting as I didn't ever hear about
          it.
          Am learning every day
          Jenny

          > Kevin Philips makes fair work of tying together many themes in his
          > book, "The Cousin's Wars". Frankly, I believe he could have covered
          > more in half the pages; he spends a lot of effort with labored
          > comparisons of Yankees, Rebels, Tories, cavaliers and roundheads.
          >
          > A better book I believe, with a broader perspective, is Hanson's
          > 'Carnage & Culture' which studies the rise of western miltary
          > supremacy since the Greeks loosely based on the idea that free men
          > fighting for lofty principles will eventually triumph over despots and
          > dictators.
          >

          > HankC
          >
          > --- In civilwarwest@y..., "Jenny Holder" <jholder@i...> wrote:
          > > Hi everyone,
          > > Just a short question. Would the ACW be considered as the ACWII
          > seeing that the Americans during the Revolutionary War were really
          > British, therefore equivalent to what the English in Cromwell's time.
          > > Have heard that there was a book called "Cousin's War" by ?Kevin
          > Nelson?
          > > Just a thought even if this is off the Western Theatre topic.
          > > Jenny

        • Jenny Holder
          Message 4 of 11 , Nov 9, 2001
            Hank,
            I haven't read it myself but I gather that this book is justa mere
            comparison..not to compare , for example...Lee or Grant.
            Jenny

            > A better book I believe, with a broader perspective, is Hanson's
            > 'Carnage & Culture' which studies the rise of western miltary
            > supremacy since the Greeks loosely based on the idea that free men
            > fighting for lofty principles will eventually triumph over despots and
            > dictators.
            >

            > HankC
            >
            > --- In civilwarwest@y..., "Jenny Holder" <jholder@i...> wrote:
            > > Hi everyone,
            > > Just a short question. Would the ACW be considered as the ACWII
            > seeing that the Americans during the Revolutionary War were really
            > British, therefore equivalent to what the English in Cromwell's time.
            > > Have heard that there was a book called "Cousin's War" by ?Kevin
            > Nelson?
            > > Just a thought even if this is off the Western Theatre topic.
            > > Jenny

          • Jenny Holder
            Message 5 of 11 , Nov 9, 2001
              Now we have to "triumph" the extremist Talibans. Hadn't heard Bush's recent
              speech but it was supposed to have "uplifted" the spirits of you American
              people.. very touching too.
              Regarding, despots, dictators, I had recently come across an article about
              Wilkes Booth's mental state when he assassinated Lincoln.
              Apparentally, he was obsessed with the idea that Lincoln was a "tryrant" and
              also known as "Father Abraham" .He repressed his envy and hatred of his
              brother/father. This repression of his led him to kill Lincoln as he
              thought that he was a tyrant who would become king and destroy the South.
              An interesting angle.
              Jenny

              > Triumph over despots and dictators: Hope for our times, Hank?
              >
              > --- In civilwarwest@y..., clarkc@m... wrote:
              > >
              > > A better book I believe, with a broader perspective, is Hanson's
              > > 'Carnage & Culture' which studies the rise of western miltary
              > > supremacy since the Greeks loosely based on the idea that free men
              > > fighting for lofty principles will eventually triumph over despots
              > and
              > > dictators.
              > >

              > > HankC

            • Robert Taubman
              Message 6 of 11 , Nov 9, 2001
                Jenny, you beat me to it. I was going to mention Anderson's Crucible of War as
                a prelude to events leading up to the American Revolution. They're still a
                bunch of rebels<g>!

                Bob "in Canada's Capital" Taubman
                | Thank you, yes, I did misquote the name of the author.
                | Was recommended to read "Long Fuse" ...a good prospective on Am Revolution,
                | " Crucible of War" Fred Anderson, and "Cousin in War" which gave a good
                | review of Anglo Am history 1630 to 1865.
                |
                | So "Carnage and Culture" by Hanson is another recommended one .
                |
                | BTW, it was brought to my attention about the Cavaliers being on American
                | soil during Cromwell's time in UK. Interesting as I didn't ever hear about
                | it.
                | Am learning every day
                | Jenny
                |

                | > Kevin Philips makes fair work of tying together many themes in his
                | > book, "The Cousin's Wars". Frankly, I believe he could have covered
                | > more in half the pages; he spends a lot of effort with labored
                | > comparisons of Yankees, Rebels, Tories, cavaliers and roundheads.
                | >
                | > A better book I believe, with a broader perspective, is Hanson's
                | > 'Carnage & Culture' which studies the rise of western miltary
                | > supremacy since the Greeks loosely based on the idea that free men
                | > fighting for lofty principles will eventually triumph over despots and
                | > dictators.
                | >

                | > HankC
                | >
                | > --- In civilwarwest@y..., "Jenny Holder" <jholder@i...> wrote:
                | > > Hi everyone,
                | > > Just a short question. Would the ACW be considered as the ACWII
                | > seeing that the Americans during the Revolutionary War were really
                | > British, therefore equivalent to what the English in Cromwell's time.
                | > > Have heard that there was a book called "Cousin's War" by ?Kevin
                | > Nelson?
                | > > Just a thought even if this is off the Western Theatre topic.
                | > > Jenny

              • Jenny Holder
                Message 7 of 11 , Nov 9, 2001
                  Bob,
                  You know, I am such a glutton ..here I am getting lots of information about
                  recommended books and do you think I have the time to read them?? Have been
                  bombarded with lots and I jotted them down, hoping that one day I would get
                  to them.
                  Now that I have cancelled my trip to USA because of the current terrorist
                  situation, I won't be getting to the book stores...am aware of Amazon but I
                  like to view the books before purchasing them.

                  As for "rebels"..yes, they are rebels and Ozzies have an admiration for the
                  rebellious streak ....as they too disliked the British authority..( a lot of
                  Irish here).
                  I was told that a lot of Oz supported the South because they empathised with
                  the so called "under dogs"...now I got that impression from the ACWRTA
                  conference in July .
                  Gosh! I am "off topic" here in the CWW..my apology.
                  Jenny

                  http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                  Message 8 of 11 , Nov 9, 2001
                    Bob,
                    I have heard of a new analogy ( new to me anyway)regarding America having
                    been "balkanised" because of the melting pot of people in even during the
                    times of the Rev War and ACW.
                    I have been reflecting on that and perhaps it might be too severe for those
                    periods. Will have to think about that.
                    Jenny