Re: Short off topic question

  • clarkc@missouri.edu
    Message 1 of 11 , Nov 9, 2001
      Kevin Philips makes fair work of tying together many themes in his
      book, "The Cousin's Wars". Frankly, I believe he could have covered
      more in half the pages; he spends a lot of effort with labored
      comparisons of Yankees, Rebels, Tories, cavaliers and roundheads.

      A better book I believe, with a broader perspective, is Hanson's
      'Carnage & Culture' which studies the rise of western miltary
      supremacy since the Greeks loosely based on the idea that free men
      fighting for lofty principles will eventually triumph over despots and
      dictators.

      HankC

      --- In civilwarwest@y..., "Jenny Holder" <jholder@i...> wrote:
      > Hi everyone,
      > Just a short question. Would the ACW be considered as the ACWII
      seeing that the Americans during the Revolutionary War were really
      British, therefore equivalent to what the English in Cromwell's time.
      > Have heard that there was a book called "Cousin's War" by ?Kevin
      Nelson?
    • carlw4514@yahoo.com
      Message 2 of 11 , Nov 9, 2001
        Triumph over despots and dictators: Hope for our times, Hank?

        --- In civilwarwest@y..., clarkc@m... wrote:

        > A better book I believe, with a broader perspective, is Hanson's
        > 'Carnage & Culture' which studies the rise of western miltary
        > supremacy since the Greeks loosely based on the idea that free men
        > fighting for lofty principles will eventually triumph over despots
        and
        > dictators.
        >

        > HankC
      • Jenny Holder
        Message 3 of 11 , Nov 9, 2001
          Thank you for your comment. Am not well versed in many areas of your
          Revolutionary War and your ACW but this was brought to my attention
          recently about being called the ACWII . IT was Kevin Phillips' book "The
          Cousin's War" not Kevin Nelson's which I misquoted.

          > I would believe the ACW to be ACWII because if you read some of the
          history
          > behind the british troops, you will see that most lived in America

          Yes, there were battles between rebel and loyalist militia men who weren't
          involved with British troops.

          > from Britain and Americans who enjoyed the life they were in and were
          willing
          > to pay the few extra cents for tea and paper documents to keep the peace.

          From what I know so far, it is not really "tea and paper" documents. It is
          deeper than that with the emerging cultural, religious, political and
          economic divergence .
          I think the tax on tea by the British was so minute that it wasn't that at
          all, however, it was enough to inflame it.
          I believe that one had to drink huge amount of tea in a year to feel the
          "tax" pinch on tea.
          Am going to read further on McPherson's book..."Battle Cry of Freedom" as he
          dealt wholistically about the ACW...., a good start to develop the overall
          view.

          Jenny
        • Jenny Holder
          Message 4 of 11 , Nov 9, 2001
            Thank you, yes, I did misquote the name of the author.
            Was recommended to read "Long Fuse" ...a good prospective on Am Revolution,
            " Crucible of War" Fred Anderson, and "Cousin in War" which gave a good
            review of Anglo Am history 1630 to 1865.

            So "Carnage and Culture" by Hanson is another recommended one .

            BTW, it was brought to my attention about the Cavaliers being on American
            soil during Cromwell's time in UK. Interesting as I didn't ever hear about
            it.
            Am learning every day
            Jenny

            > Kevin Philips makes fair work of tying together many themes in his
            > book, "The Cousin's Wars". Frankly, I believe he could have covered
            > more in half the pages; he spends a lot of effort with labored
            > comparisons of Yankees, Rebels, Tories, cavaliers and roundheads.
            >
            > A better book I believe, with a broader perspective, is Hanson's
            > 'Carnage & Culture' which studies the rise of western miltary
            > supremacy since the Greeks loosely based on the idea that free men
            > fighting for lofty principles will eventually triumph over despots and
            > dictators.
            >

            > HankC
            >
            > --- In civilwarwest@y..., "Jenny Holder" <jholder@i...> wrote:
            > > Hi everyone,
            > > Just a short question. Would the ACW be considered as the ACWII
            > seeing that the Americans during the Revolutionary War were really
            > British, therefore equivalent to what the English in Cromwell's time.
            > > Have heard that there was a book called "Cousin's War" by ?Kevin
            > Nelson?
            > > Just a thought even if this is off the Western Theatre topic.
            > > Jenny

          • Jenny Holder
            Message 5 of 11 , Nov 9, 2001
              Hank,
              I haven't read it myself but I gather that this book is justa mere
              comparison..not to compare , for example...Lee or Grant.
              Jenny

              > A better book I believe, with a broader perspective, is Hanson's
              > 'Carnage & Culture' which studies the rise of western miltary
              > supremacy since the Greeks loosely based on the idea that free men
              > fighting for lofty principles will eventually triumph over despots and
              > dictators.
              >

              > HankC
              >
              > --- In civilwarwest@y..., "Jenny Holder" <jholder@i...> wrote:
              > > Hi everyone,
              > > Just a short question. Would the ACW be considered as the ACWII
              > seeing that the Americans during the Revolutionary War were really
              > British, therefore equivalent to what the English in Cromwell's time.
              > > Have heard that there was a book called "Cousin's War" by ?Kevin
              > Nelson?
              > > Just a thought even if this is off the Western Theatre topic.
              > > Jenny

            • Jenny Holder
              Message 6 of 11 , Nov 9, 2001
                Now we have to "triumph" the extremist Talibans. Hadn't heard Bush's recent
                speech but it was supposed to have "uplifted" the spirits of you American
                people.. very touching too.
                Regarding, despots, dictators, I had recently come across an article about
                Wilkes Booth's mental state when he assassinated Lincoln.
                Apparentally, he was obsessed with the idea that Lincoln was a "tryrant" and
                also known as "Father Abraham" .He repressed his envy and hatred of his
                brother/father. This repression of his led him to kill Lincoln as he
                thought that he was a tyrant who would become king and destroy the South.
                An interesting angle.
                Jenny

                > Triumph over despots and dictators: Hope for our times, Hank?
                >
                > --- In civilwarwest@y..., clarkc@m... wrote:
                > >
                > > A better book I believe, with a broader perspective, is Hanson's
                > > 'Carnage & Culture' which studies the rise of western miltary
                > > supremacy since the Greeks loosely based on the idea that free men
                > > fighting for lofty principles will eventually triumph over despots
                > and
                > > dictators.
                > >

                > > HankC

              • Robert Taubman
                Message 7 of 11 , Nov 9, 2001
                  Jenny, you beat me to it. I was going to mention Anderson's Crucible of War as
                  a prelude to events leading up to the American Revolution. They're still a
                  bunch of rebels<g>!

                  Bob "in Canada's Capital" Taubman
                  | Thank you, yes, I did misquote the name of the author.
                  | Was recommended to read "Long Fuse" ...a good prospective on Am Revolution,
                  | " Crucible of War" Fred Anderson, and "Cousin in War" which gave a good
                  | review of Anglo Am history 1630 to 1865.
                  |
                  | So "Carnage and Culture" by Hanson is another recommended one .
                  |
                  | BTW, it was brought to my attention about the Cavaliers being on American
                  | soil during Cromwell's time in UK. Interesting as I didn't ever hear about
                  | it.
                  | Am learning every day
                  | Jenny
                  |

                  | > Kevin Philips makes fair work of tying together many themes in his
                  | > book, "The Cousin's Wars". Frankly, I believe he could have covered
                  | > more in half the pages; he spends a lot of effort with labored
                  | > comparisons of Yankees, Rebels, Tories, cavaliers and roundheads.
                  | >
                  | > A better book I believe, with a broader perspective, is Hanson's
                  | > 'Carnage & Culture' which studies the rise of western miltary
                  | > supremacy since the Greeks loosely based on the idea that free men
                  | > fighting for lofty principles will eventually triumph over despots and
                  | > dictators.
                  | >

                  | > HankC
                  | >
                  | > --- In civilwarwest@y..., "Jenny Holder" <jholder@i...> wrote:
                  | > > Hi everyone,
                  | > > Just a short question. Would the ACW be considered as the ACWII
                  | > seeing that the Americans during the Revolutionary War were really
                  | > British, therefore equivalent to what the English in Cromwell's time.
                  | > > Have heard that there was a book called "Cousin's War" by ?Kevin
                  | > Nelson?
                  | > > Just a thought even if this is off the Western Theatre topic.
                  | > > Jenny

                • Jenny Holder
                  Message 8 of 11 , Nov 9, 2001
                    Bob,
                    You know, I am such a glutton ..here I am getting lots of information about
                    recommended books and do you think I have the time to read them?? Have been
                    bombarded with lots and I jotted them down, hoping that one day I would get
                    to them.
                    Now that I have cancelled my trip to USA because of the current terrorist
                    situation, I won't be getting to the book stores...am aware of Amazon but I
                    like to view the books before purchasing them.

                    As for "rebels"..yes, they are rebels and Ozzies have an admiration for the
                    rebellious streak ....as they too disliked the British authority..( a lot of
                    Irish here).
                    I was told that a lot of Oz supported the South because they empathised with
                    the so called "under dogs"...now I got that impression from the ACWRTA
                    conference in July .
                    Gosh! I am "off topic" here in the CWW..my apology.
                    Jenny

                    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                    Message 9 of 11 , Nov 9, 2001
                      Bob,
                      I have heard of a new analogy ( new to me anyway)regarding America having
                      been "balkanised" because of the melting pot of people in even during the
                      times of the Rev War and ACW.
                      I have been reflecting on that and perhaps it might be too severe for those
                      periods. Will have to think about that.
                      Jenny