Re: [civilwarwest] Artillery drill

  • Steve Charles
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 17, 2000
      Clyde,
      Actually, there are more than 500 entries in the O.R.'s pertaining to the
      Mt. Howitzer. Most of the entries are union. I too, was initially surprised
      at this. I have done extensive research on the use of the Mt. Howitzer and
      have found them to be much more prevalent than most people give them credit
      for. The idea among reenactors that Mt. Howitzers were a rare item, stems
      from the fact that Civil war armies did not consider the Mt. Howitzer a
      "gun". As a result they either did not list them on Artillery ordnance
      reports (i.e. the 18th Indiana battery at Chickamauga had two Mt. Howitzers
      that were detached to the 92 Ill. Inf. This is well documented. but, if you
      look at the returns, You will find that Capt. Lilly lists only his six 3"
      Ordnance rifles.) or they were listed separately.( i.e. We presently have
      six field pieces (six pdr.) and two Mt. Howitzers)
      Lets face it. A section of Mt. howitzers could be smashed by counter battery
      fire before ever coming most opposing artillery was ever within range. They
      simply were not used in the conventional artillery role. They were used
      right up close to the Infantry line or by Cavalry that could fire and move
      quickly. In the up close anti-personnel role, the little howitzers lack of
      range was not a factor.

      Steve Charles