[civilwarwest] Re: Robert E. Lee in Missouri???

  • Mark Wiggin
    Message 1 of 10 , Sep 18 1:30 PM

      hshideaway@... wrote:
      • This is my first attempt.  I sent a message to ??????? just now.  So I
      • will try this again.
      • Does anyone know if Robert E. Lee was ever in Missouri?
      • I know that he was an Engineer before the War and worked in  Texas but

      • I don't know if he was in Missouri.
      • I have never heard of him being in any battles in Missouri.  Am I wrong?
      • Can anyone help???
      • Thanks,
      • Sand
               I believe in the pre war army he served in St. Louis as an engineer building and designing levies on the Mississippi.  Check R.E. Lee Vol. 1 by D. S. Freeman for more accurate info on this account.
      Hope I helped
      Mark Wiggin

    • Sandra Hess
      Message 2 of 10 , Sep 18 1:51 PM
        Thanks Mark I will check my library and see if they have the book.

        Thanks again,
        Sandy

        Mark Wiggin wrote:

        > * hshideaway@... wrote:
        >
        >> * This is my first attempt. I sent a message to ??????? just
        >> now. So I
        >> * will try this again.
        >> * Does anyone know if Robert E. Lee was ever in Missouri?
        >> * I know that he was an Engineer before the War and worked in
        >> Texas but
        >> I don't know if he was in Missouri.
        >> * I have never heard of him being in any battles in Missouri. Am
        >> I wrong?
        >> * Can anyone help???
        >> * Thanks,
        >> * Sand
        >>
        > I believe in the pre war army he served in St. Louis as an
        > engineer building and designing levies on the Mississippi. Check R.E.
        > Lee Vol. 1 by D. S. Freeman for more accurate info on this account.
        > Hope I helped
        > Mark Wiggin

        > [click here]
        > Click Here!
        > eGroups.com home: http://www.egroups.com/group/civilwarwest
      • Bryan D. McRaven
        Message 3 of 10 , Sep 18 5:26 PM
          Sandy,
          R.E. Lee was in fact stationed in St. Louis, Missouri. This
          was in 1837, when he was a Lieutenant I think. He was in charge of
          redirecting the flow of the Mississippi River, as it was silting up the port
          of St. Louis. Of course, his efforts worked.

          Dameron

          • hshideaway@earthlink.net
            Message 5 of 10 , Sep 20 8:06 AM
              Thanks for your help Bryan and Mark.

              original article:http://www.egroups.com/group/civilwarwest/?start=87

              Message 6 of 10 , Sep 20 8:06 AM

              • michael.d.cantor@us.arthurandersen.com
                Message 7 of 10 , Sep 21 7:08 AM
                  That's correct. He was an engineer in St. Louis, although his efforts were
                  hampered by insufficient funding from the state and federal government. I
                  believe that he was there for 3 years roughly (or at least 3 summers). Many of
                  his suggestions, implemented or otherwise, were highly-innovative and alleviated
                  much of the flooding around St. Louis. Also see Emory Thomas' "Robert E. Lee"
                  for further elaboration on his service there....

                  Take care,

                  Mike

                  To: civilwarwest@egroups.com
                  cc: (bcc: Michael D. Cantor)

                  >Thanks Mark I will check my library and see if they have the book.
                  >
                  >Thanks again,
                  >Sandy
                  >
                  >Mark Wiggin wrote:
                  >

                  >> * hshideaway@... wrote:
                  >>
                  >>> * This is my first attempt. I sent a message to ??????? just
                  >>> now. So I
                  >>> * will try this again.
                  >>> * Does anyone know if Robert E. Lee was ever in Missouri?
                  >>> * I know that he was an Engineer before the War and worked in
                  >>> Texas but
                  >>> I don't know if he was in Missouri.
                  >>> * I have never heard of him being in any battles in Missouri. Am
                  >>> I wrong?
                  >>> * Can anyone help???
                  >>> * Thanks,
                  >>> * Sand
                  >>>
                  >> I believe in the pre war army he served in St. Louis as an
                  >> engineer building and designing levies on the Mississippi. Check R.E.
                  >> Lee Vol. 1 by D. S. Freeman for more accurate info on this account.
                  >> Hope I helped
                  >> Mark Wiggin

                  >> [click here]
                  >> Click Here!
                  >> eGroups.com home: http://www.egroups.com/group/civilwarwest
                  >> www.egroups.com - Simplifying group communications

                  >250 FREE HOURS on AOL! So easy to use, no wonder its #1
                  >Click here NOW! for 250 Free HOURS
                  >http://clickhere.egroups.com/click/913
                  >

                  >eGroups.com home: http://www.egroups.com/group/civilwarwest

                  BETTER THAN EVER: 250 HOURS FREE on AOL! Find out why 18 MM
                  people have chosen AOL as their ISP! Click here NOW! for
                  250 Free HOURS http://clickhere.egroups.com/click/914

                  eGroups.com home: http://www.egroups.com/group/civilwarwest

                  the message to such person), you may not copy or deliver this message to anyone.
                  In such case, you should destroy this message and kindly notify the sender by
                  reply email. Please advise immediately if you or your employer does not consent
                  to Internet email for messages of this kind. Opinions, conclusions and other
                  information in this message that do not relate to the official business of my
                  firm shall be understood as neither given nor endorsed by it.
                • michael.d.cantor@us.arthurandersen.com
                  Message 8 of 10 , Sep 21 7:08 AM
                    That's correct. He was an engineer in St. Louis, although his efforts were
                    hampered by insufficient funding from the state and federal government. I
                    believe that he was there for 3 years roughly (or at least 3 summers). Many of
                    his suggestions, implemented or otherwise, were highly-innovative and alleviated
                    much of the flooding around St. Louis. Also see Emory Thomas' "Robert E. Lee"
                    for further elaboration on his service there....

                    Take care,

                    Mike

                    To: civilwarwest@egroups.com
                    cc: (bcc: Michael D. Cantor)