[civilwarwest] Re: Robert E. Lee in Missouri???

  • Mark Wiggin
    Message 1 of 10 , Sep 18 1:30 PM

      hshideaway@... wrote:
      • This is my first attempt.  I sent a message to ??????? just now.  So I
      • will try this again.
      • Does anyone know if Robert E. Lee was ever in Missouri?
      • I know that he was an Engineer before the War and worked in  Texas but

      • I don't know if he was in Missouri.
      • I have never heard of him being in any battles in Missouri.  Am I wrong?
      • Can anyone help???
      • Thanks,
      • Sand
               I believe in the pre war army he served in St. Louis as an engineer building and designing levies on the Mississippi.  Check R.E. Lee Vol. 1 by D. S. Freeman for more accurate info on this account.
      Hope I helped
      Mark Wiggin

    • Mark Wiggin

        Message 3 of 10 , Sep 18 1:51 PM
          Thanks Mark I will check my library and see if they have the book.

          Thanks again,
          Sandy

          Mark Wiggin wrote:

          > * hshideaway@... wrote:
          >
          >> * This is my first attempt. I sent a message to ??????? just
          >> now. So I
          >> * will try this again.
          >> * Does anyone know if Robert E. Lee was ever in Missouri?
          >> * I know that he was an Engineer before the War and worked in
          >> Texas but
          >> I don't know if he was in Missouri.
          >> * I have never heard of him being in any battles in Missouri. Am
          >> I wrong?
          >> * Can anyone help???
          >> * Thanks,
          >> * Sand
          >>
          > I believe in the pre war army he served in St. Louis as an
          > engineer building and designing levies on the Mississippi. Check R.E.
          > Lee Vol. 1 by D. S. Freeman for more accurate info on this account.
          > Hope I helped
          > Mark Wiggin

          > [click here]
          > Click Here!
          > eGroups.com home: http://www.egroups.com/group/civilwarwest
        • Sandra Hess
          Message 4 of 10 , Sep 18 1:51 PM

            Mark Wiggin wrote:

            > * hshideaway@... wrote:
            >
            >> * This is my first attempt. I sent a message to ??????? just
            >> now. So I
            >> * will try this again.
            >> * Does anyone know if Robert E. Lee was ever in Missouri?
            >> * I know that he was an Engineer before the War and worked in
            >> Texas but
            >> I don't know if he was in Missouri.
            >> * I have never heard of him being in any battles in Missouri. Am
            >> I wrong?
            >> * Can anyone help???
            >> * Thanks,
            >> * Sand
            >>
            > I believe in the pre war army he served in St. Louis as an
            > engineer building and designing levies on the Mississippi. Check R.E.
            > Lee Vol. 1 by D. S. Freeman for more accurate info on this account.
            > Hope I helped
            > Mark Wiggin

            > [click here]
            > Click Here!
            > eGroups.com home: http://www.egroups.com/group/civilwarwest
          • Bryan D. McRaven
            Message 5 of 10 , Sep 18 5:26 PM
              Sandy,
              R.E. Lee was in fact stationed in St. Louis, Missouri. This
              was in 1837, when he was a Lieutenant I think. He was in charge of
              redirecting the flow of the Mississippi River, as it was silting up the port
              of St. Louis. Of course, his efforts worked.

              Dameron

              • hshideaway@earthlink.net
                Message 7 of 10 , Sep 20 8:06 AM
                  Thanks for your help Bryan and Mark.

                  original article:http://www.egroups.com/group/civilwarwest/?start=87

                  Message 8 of 10 , Sep 20 8:06 AM

                  • michael.d.cantor@us.arthurandersen.com
                    Message 9 of 10 , Sep 21 7:08 AM
                      That's correct. He was an engineer in St. Louis, although his efforts were
                      hampered by insufficient funding from the state and federal government. I
                      believe that he was there for 3 years roughly (or at least 3 summers). Many of
                      his suggestions, implemented or otherwise, were highly-innovative and alleviated
                      much of the flooding around St. Louis. Also see Emory Thomas' "Robert E. Lee"
                      for further elaboration on his service there....

                      Take care,

                      Mike

                      To: civilwarwest@egroups.com
                      cc: (bcc: Michael D. Cantor)

                      >Thanks Mark I will check my library and see if they have the book.
                      >
                      >Thanks again,
                      >Sandy
                      >
                      >Mark Wiggin wrote:
                      >

                      >> * hshideaway@... wrote:
                      >>
                      >>> * This is my first attempt. I sent a message to ??????? just
                      >>> now. So I
                      >>> * will try this again.
                      >>> * Does anyone know if Robert E. Lee was ever in Missouri?
                      >>> * I know that he was an Engineer before the War and worked in
                      >>> Texas but
                      >>> I don't know if he was in Missouri.
                      >>> * I have never heard of him being in any battles in Missouri. Am
                      >>> I wrong?
                      >>> * Can anyone help???
                      >>> * Thanks,
                      >>> * Sand
                      >>>
                      >> I believe in the pre war army he served in St. Louis as an
                      >> engineer building and designing levies on the Mississippi. Check R.E.
                      >> Lee Vol. 1 by D. S. Freeman for more accurate info on this account.
                      >> Hope I helped
                      >> Mark Wiggin

                      >> [click here]
                      >> Click Here!
                      >> eGroups.com home: http://www.egroups.com/group/civilwarwest
                      >> www.egroups.com - Simplifying group communications

                      >250 FREE HOURS on AOL! So easy to use, no wonder its #1
                      >Click here NOW! for 250 Free HOURS
                      >http://clickhere.egroups.com/click/913
                      >

                      >eGroups.com home: http://www.egroups.com/group/civilwarwest

                      BETTER THAN EVER: 250 HOURS FREE on AOL! Find out why 18 MM
                      people have chosen AOL as their ISP! Click here NOW! for
                      250 Free HOURS http://clickhere.egroups.com/click/914

                      eGroups.com home: http://www.egroups.com/group/civilwarwest

                      the message to such person), you may not copy or deliver this message to anyone.
                      In such case, you should destroy this message and kindly notify the sender by
                      reply email. Please advise immediately if you or your employer does not consent
                      to Internet email for messages of this kind. Opinions, conclusions and other
                      information in this message that do not relate to the official business of my
                      firm shall be understood as neither given nor endorsed by it.
                    • michael.d.cantor@us.arthurandersen.com
                      Message 10 of 10 , Sep 21 7:08 AM
                        That's correct. He was an engineer in St. Louis, although his efforts were
                        hampered by insufficient funding from the state and federal government. I
                        believe that he was there for 3 years roughly (or at least 3 summers). Many of
                        his suggestions, implemented or otherwise, were highly-innovative and alleviated
                        much of the flooding around St. Louis. Also see Emory Thomas' "Robert E. Lee"
                        for further elaboration on his service there....

                        Take care,

                        Mike

                        To: civilwarwest@egroups.com
                        cc: (bcc: Michael D. Cantor)