Re: [civilwarwest] Re: Reviews Have to be "Critically" Negative?

  • Terry Johnston
    Message 1 of 13 , Oct 2, 2001
      Appreciate it. Now, for my two cents. This does not strike me as a good
      book review. It's not very well argued, for one. And though Long certainly
      is under no obligation to love (or even like) the book, or to refrain from
      revealing his true feelings about it, his negativity does seem excessive.
      The review, in short, lacks a sense of scholarly decorum. It also lacks,
      save for the penultimate paragraph, quotations (of significant length) from
      the book in question. You'd think that if Long wanted to hang Simpson out
      to dry for his conclusions, he's use Simpson's own words to do so.

      Terry Johnston

    • FLYNSWEDE@AOL.COM
      Message 2 of 13 , Oct 2, 2001
        In a message dated 10/2/01 3:37:38 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
        tajjr@... writes:

        << Appreciate it. Now, for my two cents. This does not strike me as a good
        book review. It's not very well argued, for one. And though Long certainly
        is under no obligation to love (or even like) the book, or to refrain from
        revealing his true feelings about it, his negativity does seem excessive.
        The review, in short, lacks a sense of scholarly decorum. It also lacks,
        save for the penultimate paragraph, quotations (of significant length) from
        the book in question. You'd think that if Long wanted to hang Simpson out
        to dry for his conclusions, he's use Simpson's own words to do so.

        Terry Johnston >>
        Please Terry and all the rest:
        This forum was to discuss actions and individuals that fought in the Western
        Theater (and perhaps the Trans-Missip included) not book reviews, book
        criticisms even though the books may pertain to individuals or battles within
        these theaters. For those that do persist on having book reviews or
        criticisms of an author, may I suggest that you open up a discussion room
        specifically for that purpose, rather than using this forum.

        Respectfully,

        Wayne C. Bengston
      • Jfepperson@aol.com
        Message 3 of 13 , Oct 2, 2001
          In a message dated 10/2/2001 4:05:49 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
          FLYNSWEDE@... writes:

          > This forum was to discuss actions and individuals that fought in the
          Western
          > Theater (and perhaps the Trans-Missip included) not book reviews, book
          > criticisms even though the books may pertain to individuals or battles
          > within
          > these theaters. For those that do persist on having book reviews or
          > criticisms of an author, may I suggest that you open up a discussion room
          > specifically for that purpose, rather than using this forum.

          While I sympathize with the frustration over certain squabbles, I have
          to disagree in a major way with the assertions quoted above. If
          discussions of books which deal with the western theatre of the Civil
          War are deemed off-topic, then our ability to discuss scholarship is
          severely (perhaps fatally) limited.

          JFE

          James F. Epperson
          http://members.aol.com/jfepperson/causes.html
          http://members.aol.com/siege1864
        • FLYNSWEDE@AOL.COM
          Message 4 of 13 , Oct 2, 2001
            In a message dated 10/2/01 6:33:52 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
            Jfepperson@... writes:

            << If
            discussions of books which deal with the western theatre of the Civil
            War are deemed off-topic, then our ability to discuss scholarship is
            severely (perhaps fatally) limited. >>

            Jeff,
            I believed that you misconstrued my post. Most certainly books on the
            Western theater should be discussed, but in the content of what happened,
            what was the battle strategy, were did the battle go wrong, etc.; what the
            battle commanders could have done or should have done rather than a given
            author. One could say that he/she enjoyed the book or did not enjoy the
            book, but to go into severe negative criticism on an author to a point where
            it becomes character assassination, this I believe has no place in this forum.
            Use the book to talk about battle events that took place so that all can
            learn. One can never learn from negative criticism, only from positive
            criticism; any instruction in leadership development will ascertain to that.

            Basically, if one desires to bash a book or its author; bash the reviewer or
            the reviews as a result of one's on personal bias, then let him/her open up
            their own room and do the bashing there, rather than within this forum.

            Hopefully this will clarify the true intent of my first post.

            Wayne