Re: [civilwarwest] Re: Reviews Have to be "Critically" Negative?

  • Terry Johnston
    Message 1 of 13 , Oct 2, 2001
      As a lurker, I'm afraid to say I've only caught part of this thread.  I wonder if Long's review has been posted on the web.  If so, could someone please provide me with a link to it?  Many thanks.

      Terry Johnston

      brooksdsimpson@... wrote:

      But one would also have to chide David Long for a review which is
      unstintingly critical and personally abusive.  I know from colleagues
      that Long's review has not helped his reputation and it has not hurt
      mine.  In Long's case, it's easy to prove animus and even easier to
      point out his mishandling of Cold Harbor (Long insists that there was
      a effort to cover up the losses, a contention dismissed by other
      scholars who are better qualified to judge, including James McPherson
      and Gordon Rhea).  Mr. Rose has come under similar criticism for his
      amazon.com review.  I know of two people who have brought ip the Long
      review in internet groups, and it's safe to say that each poster had
      a clearly-defined agenda (Dave knows whereof I speak).

    • Dave Smith
      Message 2 of 13 , Oct 2, 2001
        --- In civilwarwest@y..., Terry Johnston <tajjr@e...> wrote:
        > As a lurker, I'm afraid to say I've only caught part of this
        > thread. I wonder if Long's review has been posted on the web. If
        > so, could someone please provide me with a link to it? Many thanks.

        See

        The book review, as copied and pasted from the website at
        http://www.thehistorynet.com/reviews/bk_cwtimay00lead.htm follows:

        Also see message 8151 in this forum.

        Dave
      • Terry Johnston
        Message 3 of 13 , Oct 2, 2001
          Appreciate it. Now, for my two cents. This does not strike me as a good
          book review. It's not very well argued, for one. And though Long certainly
          is under no obligation to love (or even like) the book, or to refrain from
          revealing his true feelings about it, his negativity does seem excessive.
          The review, in short, lacks a sense of scholarly decorum. It also lacks,
          save for the penultimate paragraph, quotations (of significant length) from
          the book in question. You'd think that if Long wanted to hang Simpson out
          to dry for his conclusions, he's use Simpson's own words to do so.

          Terry Johnston

        • FLYNSWEDE@AOL.COM
          Message 4 of 13 , Oct 2, 2001
            In a message dated 10/2/01 3:37:38 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
            tajjr@... writes:

            << Appreciate it. Now, for my two cents. This does not strike me as a good
            book review. It's not very well argued, for one. And though Long certainly
            is under no obligation to love (or even like) the book, or to refrain from
            revealing his true feelings about it, his negativity does seem excessive.
            The review, in short, lacks a sense of scholarly decorum. It also lacks,
            save for the penultimate paragraph, quotations (of significant length) from
            the book in question. You'd think that if Long wanted to hang Simpson out
            to dry for his conclusions, he's use Simpson's own words to do so.

            Terry Johnston >>
            Please Terry and all the rest:
            This forum was to discuss actions and individuals that fought in the Western
            Theater (and perhaps the Trans-Missip included) not book reviews, book
            criticisms even though the books may pertain to individuals or battles within
            these theaters. For those that do persist on having book reviews or
            criticisms of an author, may I suggest that you open up a discussion room
            specifically for that purpose, rather than using this forum.

            Respectfully,

            Wayne C. Bengston
          • Jfepperson@aol.com
            Message 5 of 13 , Oct 2, 2001
              In a message dated 10/2/2001 4:05:49 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
              FLYNSWEDE@... writes:

              > This forum was to discuss actions and individuals that fought in the
              Western
              > Theater (and perhaps the Trans-Missip included) not book reviews, book
              > criticisms even though the books may pertain to individuals or battles
              > within
              > these theaters. For those that do persist on having book reviews or
              > criticisms of an author, may I suggest that you open up a discussion room
              > specifically for that purpose, rather than using this forum.

              While I sympathize with the frustration over certain squabbles, I have
              to disagree in a major way with the assertions quoted above. If
              discussions of books which deal with the western theatre of the Civil
              War are deemed off-topic, then our ability to discuss scholarship is
              severely (perhaps fatally) limited.

              JFE

              James F. Epperson
              http://members.aol.com/jfepperson/causes.html
              http://members.aol.com/siege1864
            • FLYNSWEDE@AOL.COM
              Message 6 of 13 , Oct 2, 2001
                In a message dated 10/2/01 6:33:52 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
                Jfepperson@... writes:

                << If
                discussions of books which deal with the western theatre of the Civil
                War are deemed off-topic, then our ability to discuss scholarship is
                severely (perhaps fatally) limited. >>

                Jeff,
                I believed that you misconstrued my post. Most certainly books on the
                Western theater should be discussed, but in the content of what happened,
                what was the battle strategy, were did the battle go wrong, etc.; what the
                battle commanders could have done or should have done rather than a given
                author. One could say that he/she enjoyed the book or did not enjoy the
                book, but to go into severe negative criticism on an author to a point where
                it becomes character assassination, this I believe has no place in this forum.
                Use the book to talk about battle events that took place so that all can
                learn. One can never learn from negative criticism, only from positive
                criticism; any instruction in leadership development will ascertain to that.

                Basically, if one desires to bash a book or its author; bash the reviewer or
                the reviews as a result of one's on personal bias, then let him/her open up
                their own room and do the bashing there, rather than within this forum.

                Hopefully this will clarify the true intent of my first post.

                Wayne