[civilwarwest] Grant

  • Carl Thames
    Message 1 of 72 , Nov 22, 1999
      Hows about another what If?
      What if Lee had taken Washington after a victory at Gettysburg.
      Lincoln's last order out is to send for Grant's Army of the Tennessee.
      Rosencrans marks time opposite Bragg. Grant's army moves east to
      retake Washington. What do y'all think?

      Carl
    • Laurence D. Schiller
      Message 72 of 72 , Sep 16, 2005
        At 2:48 AM +0000 9/16/05, civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com wrote:
        >Laurie,
        > The farm between the Park and the Interstate 24 has just sold
        >(500A) and zoned commercial hwy. The farm on the old Wilkinson Pike.

        Sorry to hear this - and so it goes... That's why I try to give what
        I can to the CWPT.

        >The chance for winning...
        >We are at the head knocking wall . Would you like a cup of English tea.

        Excellent idea, Lt. Col. Fremantle!

        >Let me turn this debate to a subject I've only listened to in the past.
        >If the North is so strong that no possibility of winning militarily
        >then does that put Grant in another light. Did he just keep throwing
        >men into the fire and had no real strategy to beat Lee other than
        >wear him down. Could any General have accomplished this.

        Good question and I will pass for the moment - I've other work to do
        and I think have talked enough for now. Back to a bit of lurking as
        I've got an official visit for a recruit about to start.

        Talk to you soon.

        Laurie Schiller

        --
        Dr. Laurence Dana Schiller Civil War First Person Impressions
        Maitre d'Armes William Bradshaw, Co. F 2nd WI