Joan Waugh (OT)

  • Dave Smith
    Message 1 of 23 , Oct 2, 2001
      --- In civilwarwest@y..., brooksdsimpson@y... wrote:

      > So is Joan Waugh. But you trashed her. And, unlike Long, she had
      > no problem gaining tenure. She's also very knowledgeable about
      > Grant.

      Completely different question. Is Joan Waugh related to Jack Waugh,
      author of Class of 1846 and Reelecting Lincoln?

      Jack lives in Texas, and Joan is obviously on the West Coast.

      Just curious.

      Dave
    • FLYNSWEDE@AOL.COM
      Message 2 of 23 , Oct 2, 2001
        In a message dated 10/2/01 2:29:11 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
        josepharose@... writes:

        << Dr. Simpson:

        You accuse me of "trashing" Professor Waugh. That is a gross
        mischaracterization; I did nothing of the sort. I wrote: "Professor
        Waugh also wrote a remarkably similar review of "Grant," by Jean
        Edward Smith. In the two reviews, there is little or no criticism of
        the authors' work and hardly any more of Grant as either a general or
        president."

        As soon as I learned you had a doctorate, I dropped my use of Mr.
        when referring to you. Is there any reason we should not extend to
        Dr. David Long the same courtesy?

        Joseph Rose

        Mr Rose,
        It would be greatly appreciated if you would confine your continued arguments
        with Dr. Simpson via personal email. I personally do not think that this
        forum is the place for such discussions, and I am quite sure that the
        majority of the members of this forum would concur with this request.

        Respectfully,

        Wayne C. Bengston
      • ecm777@aol.com
        Message 3 of 23 , Oct 2, 2001
          Gentlemen, when is this going to stop?  Would you please take all this bantering back and forth to private email.  I personally don't have time to sort through it all!

          Regards
          Colleen aka CWgal
        • Dick Weeks
          Message 4 of 23 , Oct 2, 2001
            I agree Wayne. I do not want to see another critique of Dr. Simpson's
            book, good or bad posted on this board. I think we all know how each
            person that has posted on this subject feels and it needs no further
            amplification. I have already let this go on a little longer than I
            should have.

            Dick (a.k.a. Shotgun)
            http://www.civilwarhome.com

          • brooksdsimpson@yahoo.com
            Message 5 of 23 , Oct 2, 2001
              --- In civilwarwest@y..., "Dave Smith" <dmsmith001@y...> wrote:

              > Completely different question. Is Joan Waugh related to Jack
              Waugh,
              > author of Class of 1846 and Reelecting Lincoln?
              >
              > Jack lives in Texas, and Joan is obviously on the West Coast.

              No relation of which I'm aware. Both are very pleasant, intelligent
              people.
            • sdwakefield@prodigy.net
              Message 6 of 23 , Oct 2, 2001
                Colleen-
                I agree I really think we need to get back to the donut debate.
                Please, ackowledge publicly that you were all wrong in the Krispy
                Kreme v. Donut Palace Debate of last summer!
                VBG
                Regards-
                Wakefield

              • brooksdsimpson@yahoo.com
                Message 7 of 23 , Oct 2, 2001
                  --- In civilwarwest@y..., ecm777@a... wrote:
                  > Gentlemen, when is this going to stop? Would you please take all
                  this
                  > bantering back and forth to private email. I personally don't have
                  time to
                  > sort through it all!

                  That's why it's so useful to access this group through the web
                  page. :)
                • brooksdsimpson@yahoo.com
                  Message 8 of 23 , Oct 2, 2001
                    --- In civilwarwest@y..., ecm777@a... wrote:
                    > Gentlemen, when is this going to stop? Would you please take all
                    this
                    > bantering back and forth to private email.

                    Colleen--

                    Once attacked in public, I believe I have the right to self-defense.