Professors

  • josepharose@yahoo.com
    Message 1 of 23 , Oct 1, 2001
      Dr. Simpson:

      You accuse me of "trashing" Professor Waugh. That is a gross
      mischaracterization; I did nothing of the sort. I wrote: "Professor
      Waugh also wrote a remarkably similar review of "Grant," by Jean
      Edward Smith. In the two reviews, there is little or no criticism of
      the authors' work and hardly any more of Grant as either a general or
      president."

      As soon as I learned you had a doctorate, I dropped my use of Mr.
      when referring to you. Is there any reason we should not extend to
      Dr. David Long the same courtesy?

      Joseph Rose

      From: brooksdsimpson@y...
      Date: Mon Oct 1, 2001 8:38 pm

      Subject: Re: Review of "Triumph Over Adversity"

      --- In civilwarwest@y..., josepharose@y... wrote:
      > --- In civilwarwest@y..., brooksdsimpson@y... wrote:
      > >
      > > Mr. Long's character or bias need not be a topic of conversation
      > here (especially as he is not present to defend himself)....
      >
      > It appears that Dr. David E. Long is a history professor and has a
      > doctorate.

      So is Joan Waugh. But you trashed her. And, unlike Long, she had no
      problem gaining tenure. She's also very knowledgeable about Grant.

      It's so unfortunate when people confuse disagreement with being
      disagreeable.
    • Dave Smith
      Message 2 of 23 , Oct 2, 2001
        --- In civilwarwest@y..., brooksdsimpson@y... wrote:

        > So is Joan Waugh. But you trashed her. And, unlike Long, she had
        > no problem gaining tenure. She's also very knowledgeable about
        > Grant.

        Completely different question. Is Joan Waugh related to Jack Waugh,
        author of Class of 1846 and Reelecting Lincoln?

        Jack lives in Texas, and Joan is obviously on the West Coast.

        Just curious.

        Dave
      • FLYNSWEDE@AOL.COM
        Message 3 of 23 , Oct 2, 2001
          In a message dated 10/2/01 2:29:11 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
          josepharose@... writes:

          << Dr. Simpson:

          You accuse me of "trashing" Professor Waugh. That is a gross
          mischaracterization; I did nothing of the sort. I wrote: "Professor
          Waugh also wrote a remarkably similar review of "Grant," by Jean
          Edward Smith. In the two reviews, there is little or no criticism of
          the authors' work and hardly any more of Grant as either a general or
          president."

          As soon as I learned you had a doctorate, I dropped my use of Mr.
          when referring to you. Is there any reason we should not extend to
          Dr. David Long the same courtesy?

          Joseph Rose

          Mr Rose,
          It would be greatly appreciated if you would confine your continued arguments
          with Dr. Simpson via personal email. I personally do not think that this
          forum is the place for such discussions, and I am quite sure that the
          majority of the members of this forum would concur with this request.

          Respectfully,

          Wayne C. Bengston
        • ecm777@aol.com
          Message 4 of 23 , Oct 2, 2001
            Gentlemen, when is this going to stop?  Would you please take all this bantering back and forth to private email.  I personally don't have time to sort through it all!

            Regards
            Colleen aka CWgal
          • Dick Weeks
            Message 5 of 23 , Oct 2, 2001
              I agree Wayne. I do not want to see another critique of Dr. Simpson's
              book, good or bad posted on this board. I think we all know how each
              person that has posted on this subject feels and it needs no further
              amplification. I have already let this go on a little longer than I
              should have.

              Dick (a.k.a. Shotgun)
              http://www.civilwarhome.com

            • brooksdsimpson@yahoo.com
              Message 6 of 23 , Oct 2, 2001
                --- In civilwarwest@y..., "Dave Smith" <dmsmith001@y...> wrote:

                > Completely different question. Is Joan Waugh related to Jack
                Waugh,
                > author of Class of 1846 and Reelecting Lincoln?
                >
                > Jack lives in Texas, and Joan is obviously on the West Coast.

                No relation of which I'm aware. Both are very pleasant, intelligent
                people.
              • sdwakefield@prodigy.net
                Message 7 of 23 , Oct 2, 2001
                  Colleen-
                  I agree I really think we need to get back to the donut debate.
                  Please, ackowledge publicly that you were all wrong in the Krispy
                  Kreme v. Donut Palace Debate of last summer!
                  VBG
                  Regards-
                  Wakefield

                • brooksdsimpson@yahoo.com
                  Message 8 of 23 , Oct 2, 2001
                    --- In civilwarwest@y..., ecm777@a... wrote:
                    > Gentlemen, when is this going to stop? Would you please take all
                    this
                    > bantering back and forth to private email. I personally don't have
                    time to
                    > sort through it all!

                    That's why it's so useful to access this group through the web
                    page. :)
                  • brooksdsimpson@yahoo.com
                    Message 9 of 23 , Oct 2, 2001
                      --- In civilwarwest@y..., ecm777@a... wrote:
                      > Gentlemen, when is this going to stop? Would you please take all
                      this
                      > bantering back and forth to private email.

                      Colleen--

                      Once attacked in public, I believe I have the right to self-defense.