Re: Battlefield at Franklin -Time to save it

  • Peter Mancini
    Message 1 of 12 , Sep 27, 2001
      Franklin and Cool Springs is a very pretty place. It is much less
      built up than it's neighbor to the North (Nashville) and has some
      pretty rolling hills. The large conglomeration of strip malls have
      some nice, high quality stores there. Was the battle fought to
      preserve the Union or to bolster the young confederacy? Actually it
      was a battle that never should have been fought. The winning general
      was currently in retreat and the last thing he wanted was an
      engagement. One could argue that the battle was part of a larger
      fight for freedom of the slaves - but P. Cleburn of the Confederacy
      was a leading and outspoken opponent of slavery. The legacy of
      Franklin is minor. It was not a battle determined to lock a theater
      in victory for one side or the other and it was not a battle for
      freedom.

      The question is, must every battlefield be saved? I don't have a
      strong opionion on this. I can think of many that should be saved -
      they represent more than just a body count statistic. They represent
      thrusts by one side or the other to further their cause and the men
      that fought those battles were throwing their lot in to promote them
      even at the cost of their lives.

      Still, if the battle were a mistake or not - it still represents a
      shared history between North and South. Men fought bravely for their
      causes. They should be remembered. Is there any replacement for the
      ground they fought over to serve that memory?

      Nashville has a lot of history - part of it involves a Civil War
      battle that is not preserved. Nashville grew up and has become very
      important in the Music Industry. It has generated commerce and
      provided greatly for the Mid-South. Are the men who died here
      forgotten? As I write this I think perhaps they are. I think of the
      balance that must bestruck between preserving heritage and
      progressing forward.

      It is not an easy balance to make sometimes.

      --Peter
    • FLYNSWEDE@AOL.COM
      Message 2 of 12 , Sep 27, 2001
        In a message dated 9/27/01 3:39:25 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
        peter_mancini@... writes:

        << Still, if the battle were a mistake or not - it still represents a
        shared history between North and South. Men fought bravely for their
        causes. They should be remembered. Is there any replacement for the
        ground they fought over to serve that memory?

        Peter,
        I could not agree with you more. The area that the Battle of Nashville was
        fought, for practical purposes, no longer exists. It is now commercial,
        residential and a college campus. Little remain as a reminder that many men
        lost their lives for what they believed in, and it was where a death of an
        army took place - Army of Tennessee.

        Again, in Franklin there is little that remains as a battle field. Yes there
        are a few locations, and efforts are being made to preserve what might be a
        major portion of what does remain. It looks however that the county fathers
        are looking to the almighty dollar before preserving history. It has been
        said that the death of the Army of Tennessee took place in Nashville, but
        Franklin was the destruction of that army that allowed the death to take
        place in Nashville.

        I shall never forget Franklin, for the Confederate Cemetary owned by the UDC
        at McGavlock Plantation is the background for my desktop here on the computer.

        Hopefully these fields of glory can be preserved. Today, I received mail
        from the Civil War Preservation Trust asking for monies (and in return,
        giving a title deed for a certain square footage of the battlefield) for the
        preservation of the Second Manassas. Still pondering.

        Wayne
      • lilsteve68@aol.com
        Message 3 of 12 , Sep 28, 2001
          > The question is, must every battlefield be saved? I
          > don't have a strong opionion on this. I can think of
          > many that should be saved - they represent more than
          > just a body count statistic. They represent
          > thrusts by one side or the other to further their
          > cause and the men that fought those battles were
          > throwing their lot in to promote them even at the
          > cost of their lives.
          > --Peter

          Well all of them cant be saved but when you look at a area like Gettysburg and you see all the acres they have been able to preserve and yet they are still trying to preserve more land .. and then you look at smaller battles like Franklin and and Nashville and you see that there is hardly anything left to preserve .. which is more important to try to preserve as much battlefield land on one battlefield or to try and preserve parts of as many battlefields as possible..

          I was wondering something earler.. what if Robert E. Lee and the ANV fought at Franklin instead of Hood and the AOT would Franklin be preserved now?

          The Western Theater is just over looked .. I think thats just one of the reasons this gounde has been lost..

          > Franklin was the destruction of that army that
          > allowed the death to take place in Nashville.
          >
          > I shall never forget Franklin, for the Confederate
          > Cemetary owned by the UDC at McGavlock Plantation is > the background for my desktop here on the computer.
          >
          > Hopefully these fields of glory can be preserved.
          > -- Wayne

          That area from Spring Hill to Nashville up hwy 31 is just moving .. living not to far away (40 min. i would say) at least once every other month i will on one of my days drive down 65 south to spring hill and get on hwy 31 north and come back homestoping here and ther to take pictures are just stop and think.. The landscape is amazing.. passing homes were once wounded soldiers were tended to by southern bells .. and with other soldiers were their souls past on to the after life..

          The view from winstead hill is somthing not to miss during the fall of the year....

          Last year About 30 other people and I walked 2 miles From Winstead Hill to the Carter House in Honor of the 136th Anv. of the Battle of Franklin, TN. two of my relatives "that I have found so far" took that same 2 mile walk on Nov. 30, 1864.. they were:

          Pvt. Daniel Marion Craft Co. g 22nd. Ala. Inf "3rd grt Grandfather"

          Pvt. George W. Harris Co. F 28th. Ala. Inf "3rd Grt. Granduncle".

          The view from top of Winstead of was beautifull and amazing the air was crisp with a slight breeze ..

          November 30, 1864 - Franklin, Tn on Winstead Hill : 4pm

          Brig. Gen . Daniel Govan saluted saying : "Well General, there will not be many of us that make it back to Arkansas."

          Gen Cleburne replied: "Well Govan, If We Are To Die, Let Us Die Like Men"

          And that they did..

          So many a brave lives were taken around. the works
          around the main breastworks.

          Gen. Claburne, Gist, Adams, Capt Tod Carter fighting for his own home that the union held.. the list could go on.. After reaching the Carter House the last bit of sunlight was leaving and the 1st star apeared. I heard some ask for the time it was close to or little after five some one guessed.. I then relized my walk was through but for those back in 1864 they had another 4 hours of fighting to go.

          My thoughts switch to those men back in 1864 ... I felt sadness, sorrow, and fear. I would be able to drive home, but for those brave souls back then they where not so lucky. Many never saw another sunset or sunrise, their families or friends, Some where never found or identified.

          My relatives survived this tragic battle but for many others their lives would never be the same. Out of all those boys and men that made that heroic 2 mile march close to 7000 where wounded, killed or captured as they charged off into what some claim the bravest charge in history ...

          Well i see got on a soap box.. lol So I will make this Quick

          If any of you live close enough to drive to franklin .. I will be there once again this Nov. 30th hope to see you guys & gals there.. Plus its on the weekend so so they may have more going on whats listed below..

          The McGavlock Plantation will also have some events planed ..

          Commemoration of the 137th Anniversary of The Battle of Franklin

          November 30 - 4:00 PM - 6:00 PM 2- mile walk recreating battle charge from Winstead Hill to Carter House. Ceremonies honoring soldiers.
          Lantern Tour
          December 1 - 5:30 PM - 7:30 PM Explore the house and grounds by candlelight for a special evening tour. Re-enactors will be performing living history demonstrations and guiding visitors on site

          Steven
          3rd great grandson of Daniel M. Craft
          Company G - 22nd. Alabama Infantry
        • hvonbork@aol.com
          Message 4 of 12 , Sep 28, 2001
            Steven-
                  Thank you for an excellent post.
                              Jack
          • FLYNSWEDE@AOL.COM
            Message 5 of 12 , Sep 28, 2001
              Steve,
              I know that the attached photo will bring memories to you. God Bless the UDC
              for their efforts here.

              Wayne

              PS This is my desk top background
            • sdwakefield@prodigy.net
              Message 6 of 12 , Sep 28, 2001
                Thank you for this information. I suppose we can all agree that
                Historic Preservation is by its nature a constantly shrinking 'window
                of opportunity'. In all such situations it seems that knowing when
                and how to fight your battles often times is the test of success.
                After all as many often observe, Jeff Davis by attempting to defend
                EVERYTHING ultimately ended up successfully defending nothing.
                I hope that I am wrong but I fear that the economics may be too one-
                sided in this battle.
                As always I could be wrong-
                Wakefield
              • hvonbork@aol.com
                Message 7 of 12 , Sep 28, 2001
                  Wayne-
                        Please add my compliments to you for a memorable photo.
                                    Jack
                • lilsteve68@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 12 , Sep 28, 2001
                    I hope that I am wrong but I fear that the economics may be too one-sided in this battle.
                    As always I could be wrong-
                    Wakefield

                    Well the library was originally planned to be placed in downtown Franklin, on Second Avenue before the BGA land came on the market.. So Maybe there is still hope ..

                    But if as group (Historians, buffs, renactors etc.. ) Speak up maybe our voices will be heard...

                    Thank you all for your comments and for the picture Wayne..

                    Somthing just draws me to Franklin..

                    Its just strange.. Maybe its because I had family there.. I'm not sure .. But I get a feeling when I'm walking the grounds at the Carter house or Winstead hill..

                    The spirts of the past are greatfull that they are not forgotten...

                    Has this ever happened to anyone one else anywhere?

                    Steven
                  • LWhite64@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 12 , Sep 28, 2001
                      Well with the sad tales from Franklin we also have some good news from Dalton, GA. The County has been able to purchase 650 acres of core battlefield from the Battle of Rocky Face and plan on making it a battlefield park.

                      Lee