Peter -- Franklin Battlefield

  • lilsteve68@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 25, 2001
      Well the Franklin Battlefield is almost all gone and we lose more land Daily..

      Just resently they desided to build a new school just south of Winstead Hill and across from the Harrison House (Hoods HQ during the 1864 Battle of Franklin)

      The 84 Lumber Company won city approval at last week's regular Planning Commission meeting to build 33,718 square feet of retail space at a 17-acre site off 1901 Columbia Ave. at the Franklin Industrial Park The site is catty-corner to Century Industrial Park. The tract located off Columbia Avenue, across from Beasley Drive in Franklin is a section of the corridor where the Civil War Battle of Franklin was fought and is already zoned for industrial development.

      Then there is Battle Ground Academy or BGA which
      opened as a private boys in the late 1800's, The academy now occupying the grounds is moving their campus to a different site, opening for the first time the opportunity of obtaining a long lost piece of the Franklin Battlefield. But the county presently has plans to build a library on the historic land while the Civil war Preservationist want to use the area as a start for a Civil War Park in Franklin.

      Here is Link to a wonderfull editorial by by Joe Avalon From CWI (Civil war Interactive)

      http://www.civilwarinteractive.com/editorialfranklin1.htm

      I to have a Civil War Site

      http://www.americancivilwar.50megs.com

      which I try to update daily with Civil War News from the Tenneseee area. I also pages on Civil War sites in the Tennesee Area.

      Steven