Re: [civilwarwest] Reading list

  • FLYNSWEDE@AOL.COM
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 21, 2001
      CIVIL WAR WEST
      RECOMMENDED READING LIST

      I thought that Dave Smith had an excellent idea of presenting a reading list
      of books and authors that pertained to the war in the Western Theater. I am
      submitting a list that I can recommend. Yes, I know that everyone will
      possibly not agree with quality of these books, however one can choose and
      have his own personal thoughts on this selection. Although our discussion
      group primarily pertains to the Western Theater, I am also including several
      books that pertain to the Trans-Mississippi Theater - a theater that is not
      discussed too often, but was important to the war in the West.

      AUTHOR BOOK TITLE

      Bruce Catton Grant Moves South

      Brooks Simpson U.S. Grant: Triumph Over Adversity

      Wiley Sword Shiloh
      Mountains Touched by Fire
      Embrace an Angry Wind
      Southern Invincibility
      The Confederacy's Last Hurrah

      Sam Elliott Soldier of Tennessee

      Peter Cozzens The Shipwreck of their Hopes
      This Terrible Sound
      No Better Place to Die
      The Darkest Days of the War

      Craig Symonds Stonewall of the West
      Joseph E. Johnston

      John Marszalek Sherman

      William S. McFeely Memoirs of Gen. Wm T. Sherman

      Samuel Bowman Sherman and His Campaigns

      Marjorie Bearss Sherman's Forgotten Campaign

      Charles W. Wills Army Life of an Illinois Soldier

      W. Morris/L.Hartwell Jr/ History of the 31st Illinois Rgmt
      J.B. Kuykendall

      Richard McMurry Two Great Rebel Armies

      Paul Stockdale The Death of an Army

      Ed Bearss Vicksburg Volume Set

      Frank Palumbo The Dependable General

      D. Warren Lambert When the Ripe Pears Fell

      John B. Hood Advance & Retreat

      R. Baumgartner & L. Strayer Echoes of Battle

      Mark Bradley Bentonville

      Rick Hatcher & Wm. Piston Wilson Creek

      Tom Goodrich Black Flag

      Guild Press Official Records of the War of the
      Rebellion (CD-ROM)

      I am sure that there are many more excellent references available that
      pertain to the Civil War in the West other those listed above. No book or
      author is void of discrepancies in one way or another. Each and every author
      has done his best to present the events that took place between 1861 and 1865
      with the best accuracy and interpretation that research could give him/her.

      Wayne C. Bengston