Re: Top Ten Battles

  • Dave Smith
    Message 1 of 11 , Sep 3, 2001
      --- In civilwarwest@y..., theme_music@y... wrote:

      > I'm with Wayne, why the heck isn't Chickamauga in the top ten? No
      > Chickamauga, no Chattanooga and then we've got President Rosecrans!
      > Am I right?

      What's interesting about the lists are that the battles in the East
      were ranked higher than those of the West, but the campaigns of the
      West were ranked, in general, higher than those in the East.

      Dave
    • Dave Smith
      Message 2 of 11 , Sep 5, 2001
        --- In civilwarwest@y..., hartshje@a... wrote:
        > Dave,
        >
        > Thanks for sharing this info. May I ask, on the Top 10 Battles &
        > the Top 10 Campaigns; Top 10 what? Favorite to study? Most impact
        > on the war? Obviously not biggest or bloodiest! I too am shocked
        > not to see Chickamauga regardless of the "what".

        The key was the most significant - not biggest or bloodiest. We were
        looking for subjective opinions - not objective results. Those are
        easily determined.

        One thing I'd note about the top ten Generals list. It seems, for
        the most part, that Grant adherents were willing to give Robert E.
        Lee is fair due, while for the most part, Lee adherents were less
        willing. Although a East / West crossover, it was an interesting
        phenomenon.

        Dave
      • FLYNSWEDE@AOL.COM
        Message 3 of 11 , Sep 5, 2001
          I got the following from BGES and it is another battle. This is quite
          humorous as well.

          Please enjoy the Battle of Wauhatchie, October 28, 1863 written by John Mason
          of Huntsville, Alabama.

          Battle of Wauhatchie, October 28, 1863

          The Federal Army of the Cumberland had been holed up in Chattanooga,
          Tennessee, under a state of siege by Braxton Bragg's Army of Tennessee since
          the Battle of Chickamauga in September. Recognizing the importance of the
          military situation there, both governments used the best they had to help
          their respective armies -- the Confederates left James Longstreet's Corps
          from the Army of Northern Virginia in place while the Union sent Ulysses
          Grant. Grant acted immediately to lift the siege.

          Part of his plan involved the Union XII Corps under the command of Joe
          Hooker, recently arrived from the eastern theater. In late October, Hooker's
          troops began moving from Bridgeport, Alabama, up Lookout Valley, towards
          Chattanooga. This move would be contested by Longstreet's Virginians. On
          October 28, Longstreet noted that Union General John Geary's division was
          somewhat isolated from the rest of the Federal army, and planned a night
          attack to destroy it. Geary's soldiers were able to repel the attack, which
          was badly handled in the first place. But it was during the attack that one
          of the funny little vignettes of war occurred.

          There were some 200 mules in Geary's trains. The noise of battle spooked the
          animals, and they ran off en masse into the night. As luck would have it,
          they ran straight into the middle of Confederate General Wade Hampton's
          attacking legion. Assuming that the Federals had mounted a cavalry charge,
          the Rebels broke and fled. Cantankerous army mules had saved the day! One
          literate Yankee, remembering Tennyson's Charge of the Light Brigade, penned
          the following parody:

          Charge of the Mule Brigade

          Half a mile, half a mile,
          Half a mile onward,
          Right through the Georgia troops
          Broke the two hundred.

          "Forward the Mule Brigade!"
          Was there a mule dismayed?
          Not when the long ears felt
          All their ropes sundered.
          Theirs not to make reply,
          Theirs not to reason why,
          Theirs but to make Reds fly.
          On! To the Georgia troops
          Broke the two hundred.

          Mules to the right of them,
          Mules to the left of them,
          Mules behind them,
          Pawed, neighed and thundered.
          Breaking their own confines,
          Breaking through Longstreet's lines,
          Into the Georgia troops
          Stormed the two hundred.

          Wild at their eyes sis glare,
          Whisked all their tales in air
          Scattering the chivalry there,
          While all the world wondered .
          Not a mule back bestraddle,
          Yet how they skedaddled -
          Fled every Georgian,
          Unsabered, unsaddled, scattered and sundered!
          How they were routed there
          By the two hundred.

          Mules to the right of them,
          Mules to the left of them,
          Mules behind them,
          Pawed, neighed and thundered;
          Followed by hoof and head
          Many a hero fled,
          Fain in the last ditch dead,
          Back from an ass's jaw
          All that was left of them, -
          Left by the two hundred.

          When can their glory fade?
          Oh, the wild charge they made!
          All the world wondered.
          Honor the charge they made!
          Honor the mule brigade,
          Long-eared two hundred.

          -Poem copied from John D. Billings, Hardtack and Coffee.
        • carlw4514@yahoo.com
          Message 4 of 11 , Sep 5, 2001
            This must have inspired Ambrose Bierce's short story JUPITER DOKE,
            BRIGADIER-GENERAL. In it Bierce tells the story of a Federal victory
            by a series of letters and dispatches. One Confederate thought his
            troops got wiped out by a tornado, another by 50,000 cavalry, a Gen.
            Baumschank resigns - " I vights no more in a dam gontry vere I gets
            vipped und knows nod how it vos done", etc., and in the end we find
            out the Yank general had jumped out the back window of his
            headquarters in the middle of the night, to run for his life, and
            spooks the mules which trample over the Rebs winning him the day.