Re: Top Ten Battles

  • hartshje@aol.com
    Message 1 of 11 , Sep 2 8:36 PM
      Dave,

      Thanks for sharing this info. May I ask, on the Top 10 Battles &
      the Top 10 Campaigns; Top 10 what? Favorite to study? Most impact
      on the war? Obviously not biggest or bloodiest! I too am shocked
      not to see Chickamauga regardless of the "what".

      Joe

      --- In civilwarwest@y..., "Dave Smith" <dmsmith001@y...> wrote:
      > So we asked for the top ten battles (campaigns to follow):
      >
      > Here were the results:
      >
      > Ballots First Place Average Votes Per
      > Rank Name Cast for Points Votes Points Ballot
      > 1 Antietam 24 154.5 5.5 5.15 6.44
      > 2 Gettysburg 16 108.0 6.0 3.60 6.75
      > 3 Shiloh 16 90.0 2.0 3.00 5.63
      > 4 Ft. Donelson 10 65.0 3.0 2.17 6.50
      > 5 First Manassas 10 57.0 3.0 1.90 5.70
      > 6 Chattanooga 11 49.0 2.0 1.63 4.45
      > 7 Champion Hill 7 43.0 2.0 1.43 6.14
      > 8 Wilderness 10 24.0 0.0 0.80 2.40
      > 9 Chancellorsville 9 21.0 0.0 0.70 2.33
      > 10 Monitor / Virginia 3 21.0 2.0 0.70 7.00
      >
      > Full details at:
      >
      > http://members.aol.com/davebob1/awcusa_battles.htm
      >
      > Dave
      >
      > Dave Smith
      > Villa Hills, KY
    • Dave Smith
      Message 2 of 11 , Sep 3 4:49 AM
        --- In civilwarwest@y..., FLYNSWEDE@A... wrote:
        > In a message dated 9/1/01 12:27:21 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
        > dmsmith001@y... writes:
        >
        > << So we asked for the top ten battles (campaigns to follow):

        > Very very interesting - despite all our posts on the Chicamaugua
        > battle within this group, it was not one of the top ten. I also
        > notice once again, the majority of the battles listed were in the
        East not in the West.

        The group that was asked the question was an open forum, so you can
        draw your conclusions appropriately.

        Dave
      • Dave Smith
        Message 3 of 11 , Sep 3 4:52 AM
          --- In civilwarwest@y..., theme_music@y... wrote:

          > I'm with Wayne, why the heck isn't Chickamauga in the top ten? No
          > Chickamauga, no Chattanooga and then we've got President Rosecrans!
          > Am I right?

          What's interesting about the lists are that the battles in the East
          were ranked higher than those of the West, but the campaigns of the
          West were ranked, in general, higher than those in the East.

          Dave
        • Dave Smith
          Message 4 of 11 , Sep 5 7:47 AM
            --- In civilwarwest@y..., hartshje@a... wrote:
            > Dave,
            >
            > Thanks for sharing this info. May I ask, on the Top 10 Battles &
            > the Top 10 Campaigns; Top 10 what? Favorite to study? Most impact
            > on the war? Obviously not biggest or bloodiest! I too am shocked
            > not to see Chickamauga regardless of the "what".

            The key was the most significant - not biggest or bloodiest. We were
            looking for subjective opinions - not objective results. Those are
            easily determined.

            One thing I'd note about the top ten Generals list. It seems, for
            the most part, that Grant adherents were willing to give Robert E.
            Lee is fair due, while for the most part, Lee adherents were less
            willing. Although a East / West crossover, it was an interesting
            phenomenon.

            Dave
          • FLYNSWEDE@AOL.COM
            Message 5 of 11 , Sep 5 10:06 AM
              I got the following from BGES and it is another battle. This is quite
              humorous as well.

              Please enjoy the Battle of Wauhatchie, October 28, 1863 written by John Mason
              of Huntsville, Alabama.

              Battle of Wauhatchie, October 28, 1863

              The Federal Army of the Cumberland had been holed up in Chattanooga,
              Tennessee, under a state of siege by Braxton Bragg's Army of Tennessee since
              the Battle of Chickamauga in September. Recognizing the importance of the
              military situation there, both governments used the best they had to help
              their respective armies -- the Confederates left James Longstreet's Corps
              from the Army of Northern Virginia in place while the Union sent Ulysses
              Grant. Grant acted immediately to lift the siege.

              Part of his plan involved the Union XII Corps under the command of Joe
              Hooker, recently arrived from the eastern theater. In late October, Hooker's
              troops began moving from Bridgeport, Alabama, up Lookout Valley, towards
              Chattanooga. This move would be contested by Longstreet's Virginians. On
              October 28, Longstreet noted that Union General John Geary's division was
              somewhat isolated from the rest of the Federal army, and planned a night
              attack to destroy it. Geary's soldiers were able to repel the attack, which
              was badly handled in the first place. But it was during the attack that one
              of the funny little vignettes of war occurred.

              There were some 200 mules in Geary's trains. The noise of battle spooked the
              animals, and they ran off en masse into the night. As luck would have it,
              they ran straight into the middle of Confederate General Wade Hampton's
              attacking legion. Assuming that the Federals had mounted a cavalry charge,
              the Rebels broke and fled. Cantankerous army mules had saved the day! One
              literate Yankee, remembering Tennyson's Charge of the Light Brigade, penned
              the following parody:

              Charge of the Mule Brigade

              Half a mile, half a mile,
              Half a mile onward,
              Right through the Georgia troops
              Broke the two hundred.

              "Forward the Mule Brigade!"
              Was there a mule dismayed?
              Not when the long ears felt
              All their ropes sundered.
              Theirs not to make reply,
              Theirs not to reason why,
              Theirs but to make Reds fly.
              On! To the Georgia troops
              Broke the two hundred.

              Mules to the right of them,
              Mules to the left of them,
              Mules behind them,
              Pawed, neighed and thundered.
              Breaking their own confines,
              Breaking through Longstreet's lines,
              Into the Georgia troops
              Stormed the two hundred.

              Wild at their eyes sis glare,
              Whisked all their tales in air
              Scattering the chivalry there,
              While all the world wondered .
              Not a mule back bestraddle,
              Yet how they skedaddled -
              Fled every Georgian,
              Unsabered, unsaddled, scattered and sundered!
              How they were routed there
              By the two hundred.

              Mules to the right of them,
              Mules to the left of them,
              Mules behind them,
              Pawed, neighed and thundered;
              Followed by hoof and head
              Many a hero fled,
              Fain in the last ditch dead,
              Back from an ass's jaw
              All that was left of them, -
              Left by the two hundred.

              When can their glory fade?
              Oh, the wild charge they made!
              All the world wondered.
              Honor the charge they made!
              Honor the mule brigade,
              Long-eared two hundred.

              -Poem copied from John D. Billings, Hardtack and Coffee.
            • carlw4514@yahoo.com
              Message 6 of 11 , Sep 5 7:24 PM
                This must have inspired Ambrose Bierce's short story JUPITER DOKE,
                BRIGADIER-GENERAL. In it Bierce tells the story of a Federal victory
                by a series of letters and dispatches. One Confederate thought his
                troops got wiped out by a tornado, another by 50,000 cavalry, a Gen.
                Baumschank resigns - " I vights no more in a dam gontry vere I gets
                vipped und knows nod how it vos done", etc., and in the end we find
                out the Yank general had jumped out the back window of his
                headquarters in the middle of the night, to run for his life, and
                spooks the mules which trample over the Rebs winning him the day.