Re: Top Ten Battles

  • theme_music@yahoo.com
    Message 1 of 11 , Sep 2, 2001
      I'm with Wayne, why the heck isn't Chickamauga in the top ten? No
      Chickamauga, no Chattanooga and then we've got President Rosecrans!
      Am I right?

      Eric

    • LWhite64@aol.com
      Message 2 of 11 , Sep 2, 2001
        Chickamauga the 2nd bloodiest battle of the war, 34,000 casualties.

        Lee
      • hartshje@aol.com
        Message 3 of 11 , Sep 2, 2001
          Dave,

          Thanks for sharing this info. May I ask, on the Top 10 Battles &
          the Top 10 Campaigns; Top 10 what? Favorite to study? Most impact
          on the war? Obviously not biggest or bloodiest! I too am shocked
          not to see Chickamauga regardless of the "what".

          Joe

          --- In civilwarwest@y..., "Dave Smith" <dmsmith001@y...> wrote:
          > So we asked for the top ten battles (campaigns to follow):
          >
          > Here were the results:
          >
          > Ballots First Place Average Votes Per
          > Rank Name Cast for Points Votes Points Ballot
          > 1 Antietam 24 154.5 5.5 5.15 6.44
          > 2 Gettysburg 16 108.0 6.0 3.60 6.75
          > 3 Shiloh 16 90.0 2.0 3.00 5.63
          > 4 Ft. Donelson 10 65.0 3.0 2.17 6.50
          > 5 First Manassas 10 57.0 3.0 1.90 5.70
          > 6 Chattanooga 11 49.0 2.0 1.63 4.45
          > 7 Champion Hill 7 43.0 2.0 1.43 6.14
          > 8 Wilderness 10 24.0 0.0 0.80 2.40
          > 9 Chancellorsville 9 21.0 0.0 0.70 2.33
          > 10 Monitor / Virginia 3 21.0 2.0 0.70 7.00
          >
          > Full details at:
          >
          > http://members.aol.com/davebob1/awcusa_battles.htm
          >
          > Dave
          >
          > Dave Smith
          > Villa Hills, KY
        • Dave Smith
          Message 4 of 11 , Sep 3, 2001
            --- In civilwarwest@y..., FLYNSWEDE@A... wrote:
            > In a message dated 9/1/01 12:27:21 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
            > dmsmith001@y... writes:
            >
            > << So we asked for the top ten battles (campaigns to follow):

            > Very very interesting - despite all our posts on the Chicamaugua
            > battle within this group, it was not one of the top ten. I also
            > notice once again, the majority of the battles listed were in the
            East not in the West.

            The group that was asked the question was an open forum, so you can
            draw your conclusions appropriately.

            Dave
          • Dave Smith
            Message 5 of 11 , Sep 3, 2001
              --- In civilwarwest@y..., theme_music@y... wrote:

              > I'm with Wayne, why the heck isn't Chickamauga in the top ten? No
              > Chickamauga, no Chattanooga and then we've got President Rosecrans!
              > Am I right?

              What's interesting about the lists are that the battles in the East
              were ranked higher than those of the West, but the campaigns of the
              West were ranked, in general, higher than those in the East.

              Dave
            • Dave Smith
              Message 6 of 11 , Sep 5, 2001
                --- In civilwarwest@y..., hartshje@a... wrote:
                > Dave,
                >
                > Thanks for sharing this info. May I ask, on the Top 10 Battles &
                > the Top 10 Campaigns; Top 10 what? Favorite to study? Most impact
                > on the war? Obviously not biggest or bloodiest! I too am shocked
                > not to see Chickamauga regardless of the "what".

                The key was the most significant - not biggest or bloodiest. We were
                looking for subjective opinions - not objective results. Those are
                easily determined.

                One thing I'd note about the top ten Generals list. It seems, for
                the most part, that Grant adherents were willing to give Robert E.
                Lee is fair due, while for the most part, Lee adherents were less
                willing. Although a East / West crossover, it was an interesting
                phenomenon.

                Dave
              • FLYNSWEDE@AOL.COM
                Message 7 of 11 , Sep 5, 2001
                  I got the following from BGES and it is another battle. This is quite
                  humorous as well.

                  Please enjoy the Battle of Wauhatchie, October 28, 1863 written by John Mason
                  of Huntsville, Alabama.

                  Battle of Wauhatchie, October 28, 1863

                  The Federal Army of the Cumberland had been holed up in Chattanooga,
                  Tennessee, under a state of siege by Braxton Bragg's Army of Tennessee since
                  the Battle of Chickamauga in September. Recognizing the importance of the
                  military situation there, both governments used the best they had to help
                  their respective armies -- the Confederates left James Longstreet's Corps
                  from the Army of Northern Virginia in place while the Union sent Ulysses
                  Grant. Grant acted immediately to lift the siege.

                  Part of his plan involved the Union XII Corps under the command of Joe
                  Hooker, recently arrived from the eastern theater. In late October, Hooker's
                  troops began moving from Bridgeport, Alabama, up Lookout Valley, towards
                  Chattanooga. This move would be contested by Longstreet's Virginians. On
                  October 28, Longstreet noted that Union General John Geary's division was
                  somewhat isolated from the rest of the Federal army, and planned a night
                  attack to destroy it. Geary's soldiers were able to repel the attack, which
                  was badly handled in the first place. But it was during the attack that one
                  of the funny little vignettes of war occurred.

                  There were some 200 mules in Geary's trains. The noise of battle spooked the
                  animals, and they ran off en masse into the night. As luck would have it,
                  they ran straight into the middle of Confederate General Wade Hampton's
                  attacking legion. Assuming that the Federals had mounted a cavalry charge,
                  the Rebels broke and fled. Cantankerous army mules had saved the day! One
                  literate Yankee, remembering Tennyson's Charge of the Light Brigade, penned
                  the following parody:

                  Charge of the Mule Brigade

                  Half a mile, half a mile,
                  Half a mile onward,
                  Right through the Georgia troops
                  Broke the two hundred.

                  "Forward the Mule Brigade!"
                  Was there a mule dismayed?
                  Not when the long ears felt
                  All their ropes sundered.
                  Theirs not to make reply,
                  Theirs not to reason why,
                  Theirs but to make Reds fly.
                  On! To the Georgia troops
                  Broke the two hundred.

                  Mules to the right of them,
                  Mules to the left of them,
                  Mules behind them,
                  Pawed, neighed and thundered.
                  Breaking their own confines,
                  Breaking through Longstreet's lines,
                  Into the Georgia troops
                  Stormed the two hundred.

                  Wild at their eyes sis glare,
                  Whisked all their tales in air
                  Scattering the chivalry there,
                  While all the world wondered .
                  Not a mule back bestraddle,
                  Yet how they skedaddled -
                  Fled every Georgian,
                  Unsabered, unsaddled, scattered and sundered!
                  How they were routed there
                  By the two hundred.

                  Mules to the right of them,
                  Mules to the left of them,
                  Mules behind them,
                  Pawed, neighed and thundered;
                  Followed by hoof and head
                  Many a hero fled,
                  Fain in the last ditch dead,
                  Back from an ass's jaw
                  All that was left of them, -
                  Left by the two hundred.

                  When can their glory fade?
                  Oh, the wild charge they made!
                  All the world wondered.
                  Honor the charge they made!
                  Honor the mule brigade,
                  Long-eared two hundred.

                  -Poem copied from John D. Billings, Hardtack and Coffee.
                • carlw4514@yahoo.com
                  Message 8 of 11 , Sep 5, 2001
                    This must have inspired Ambrose Bierce's short story JUPITER DOKE,
                    BRIGADIER-GENERAL. In it Bierce tells the story of a Federal victory
                    by a series of letters and dispatches. One Confederate thought his
                    troops got wiped out by a tornado, another by 50,000 cavalry, a Gen.
                    Baumschank resigns - " I vights no more in a dam gontry vere I gets
                    vipped und knows nod how it vos done", etc., and in the end we find
                    out the Yank general had jumped out the back window of his
                    headquarters in the middle of the night, to run for his life, and
                    spooks the mules which trample over the Rebs winning him the day.