Re: [civilwarwest] Top Ten Battles

  • Jenny Holder
    Message 1 of 11 , Sep 1, 2001
      Wayne,
      Yet I have an impression that the West offers more complexities...at this
      point...I am not certain..just seems to be..
      Jenny

      > Very very interesting - despite all our posts on the Chicamaugua battle
      > within this group, it was not one of the top ten. I also notice once
      again,
      > the majority of the battles listed were in the East not in the West.
      <ugh>

    • theme_music@yahoo.com
      Message 2 of 11 , Sep 2, 2001
        I'm with Wayne, why the heck isn't Chickamauga in the top ten? No
        Chickamauga, no Chattanooga and then we've got President Rosecrans!
        Am I right?

        Eric

      • LWhite64@aol.com
        Message 3 of 11 , Sep 2, 2001
          Chickamauga the 2nd bloodiest battle of the war, 34,000 casualties.

          Lee
        • hartshje@aol.com
          Message 4 of 11 , Sep 2, 2001
            Dave,

            Thanks for sharing this info. May I ask, on the Top 10 Battles &
            the Top 10 Campaigns; Top 10 what? Favorite to study? Most impact
            on the war? Obviously not biggest or bloodiest! I too am shocked
            not to see Chickamauga regardless of the "what".

            Joe

            --- In civilwarwest@y..., "Dave Smith" <dmsmith001@y...> wrote:
            > So we asked for the top ten battles (campaigns to follow):
            >
            > Here were the results:
            >
            > Ballots First Place Average Votes Per
            > Rank Name Cast for Points Votes Points Ballot
            > 1 Antietam 24 154.5 5.5 5.15 6.44
            > 2 Gettysburg 16 108.0 6.0 3.60 6.75
            > 3 Shiloh 16 90.0 2.0 3.00 5.63
            > 4 Ft. Donelson 10 65.0 3.0 2.17 6.50
            > 5 First Manassas 10 57.0 3.0 1.90 5.70
            > 6 Chattanooga 11 49.0 2.0 1.63 4.45
            > 7 Champion Hill 7 43.0 2.0 1.43 6.14
            > 8 Wilderness 10 24.0 0.0 0.80 2.40
            > 9 Chancellorsville 9 21.0 0.0 0.70 2.33
            > 10 Monitor / Virginia 3 21.0 2.0 0.70 7.00
            >
            > Full details at:
            >
            > http://members.aol.com/davebob1/awcusa_battles.htm
            >
            > Dave
            >
            > Dave Smith
            > Villa Hills, KY
          • Dave Smith
            Message 5 of 11 , Sep 3, 2001
              --- In civilwarwest@y..., FLYNSWEDE@A... wrote:
              > In a message dated 9/1/01 12:27:21 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
              > dmsmith001@y... writes:
              >
              > << So we asked for the top ten battles (campaigns to follow):

              > Very very interesting - despite all our posts on the Chicamaugua
              > battle within this group, it was not one of the top ten. I also
              > notice once again, the majority of the battles listed were in the
              East not in the West.

              The group that was asked the question was an open forum, so you can
              draw your conclusions appropriately.

              Dave
            • Dave Smith
              Message 6 of 11 , Sep 3, 2001
                --- In civilwarwest@y..., theme_music@y... wrote:

                > I'm with Wayne, why the heck isn't Chickamauga in the top ten? No
                > Chickamauga, no Chattanooga and then we've got President Rosecrans!
                > Am I right?

                What's interesting about the lists are that the battles in the East
                were ranked higher than those of the West, but the campaigns of the
                West were ranked, in general, higher than those in the East.

                Dave
              • Dave Smith
                Message 7 of 11 , Sep 5, 2001
                  --- In civilwarwest@y..., hartshje@a... wrote:
                  > Dave,
                  >
                  > Thanks for sharing this info. May I ask, on the Top 10 Battles &
                  > the Top 10 Campaigns; Top 10 what? Favorite to study? Most impact
                  > on the war? Obviously not biggest or bloodiest! I too am shocked
                  > not to see Chickamauga regardless of the "what".

                  The key was the most significant - not biggest or bloodiest. We were
                  looking for subjective opinions - not objective results. Those are
                  easily determined.

                  One thing I'd note about the top ten Generals list. It seems, for
                  the most part, that Grant adherents were willing to give Robert E.
                  Lee is fair due, while for the most part, Lee adherents were less
                  willing. Although a East / West crossover, it was an interesting
                  phenomenon.

                  Dave
                • FLYNSWEDE@AOL.COM
                  Message 8 of 11 , Sep 5, 2001
                    I got the following from BGES and it is another battle. This is quite
                    humorous as well.

                    Please enjoy the Battle of Wauhatchie, October 28, 1863 written by John Mason
                    of Huntsville, Alabama.

                    Battle of Wauhatchie, October 28, 1863

                    The Federal Army of the Cumberland had been holed up in Chattanooga,
                    Tennessee, under a state of siege by Braxton Bragg's Army of Tennessee since
                    the Battle of Chickamauga in September. Recognizing the importance of the
                    military situation there, both governments used the best they had to help
                    their respective armies -- the Confederates left James Longstreet's Corps
                    from the Army of Northern Virginia in place while the Union sent Ulysses
                    Grant. Grant acted immediately to lift the siege.

                    Part of his plan involved the Union XII Corps under the command of Joe
                    Hooker, recently arrived from the eastern theater. In late October, Hooker's
                    troops began moving from Bridgeport, Alabama, up Lookout Valley, towards
                    Chattanooga. This move would be contested by Longstreet's Virginians. On
                    October 28, Longstreet noted that Union General John Geary's division was
                    somewhat isolated from the rest of the Federal army, and planned a night
                    attack to destroy it. Geary's soldiers were able to repel the attack, which
                    was badly handled in the first place. But it was during the attack that one
                    of the funny little vignettes of war occurred.

                    There were some 200 mules in Geary's trains. The noise of battle spooked the
                    animals, and they ran off en masse into the night. As luck would have it,
                    they ran straight into the middle of Confederate General Wade Hampton's
                    attacking legion. Assuming that the Federals had mounted a cavalry charge,
                    the Rebels broke and fled. Cantankerous army mules had saved the day! One
                    literate Yankee, remembering Tennyson's Charge of the Light Brigade, penned
                    the following parody:

                    Charge of the Mule Brigade

                    Half a mile, half a mile,
                    Half a mile onward,
                    Right through the Georgia troops
                    Broke the two hundred.

                    "Forward the Mule Brigade!"
                    Was there a mule dismayed?
                    Not when the long ears felt
                    All their ropes sundered.
                    Theirs not to make reply,
                    Theirs not to reason why,
                    Theirs but to make Reds fly.
                    On! To the Georgia troops
                    Broke the two hundred.

                    Mules to the right of them,
                    Mules to the left of them,
                    Mules behind them,
                    Pawed, neighed and thundered.
                    Breaking their own confines,
                    Breaking through Longstreet's lines,
                    Into the Georgia troops
                    Stormed the two hundred.

                    Wild at their eyes sis glare,
                    Whisked all their tales in air
                    Scattering the chivalry there,
                    While all the world wondered .
                    Not a mule back bestraddle,
                    Yet how they skedaddled -
                    Fled every Georgian,
                    Unsabered, unsaddled, scattered and sundered!
                    How they were routed there
                    By the two hundred.

                    Mules to the right of them,
                    Mules to the left of them,
                    Mules behind them,
                    Pawed, neighed and thundered;
                    Followed by hoof and head
                    Many a hero fled,
                    Fain in the last ditch dead,
                    Back from an ass's jaw
                    All that was left of them, -
                    Left by the two hundred.

                    When can their glory fade?
                    Oh, the wild charge they made!
                    All the world wondered.
                    Honor the charge they made!
                    Honor the mule brigade,
                    Long-eared two hundred.

                    -Poem copied from John D. Billings, Hardtack and Coffee.
                  • carlw4514@yahoo.com
                    Message 9 of 11 , Sep 5, 2001
                      This must have inspired Ambrose Bierce's short story JUPITER DOKE,
                      BRIGADIER-GENERAL. In it Bierce tells the story of a Federal victory
                      by a series of letters and dispatches. One Confederate thought his
                      troops got wiped out by a tornado, another by 50,000 cavalry, a Gen.
                      Baumschank resigns - " I vights no more in a dam gontry vere I gets
                      vipped und knows nod how it vos done", etc., and in the end we find
                      out the Yank general had jumped out the back window of his
                      headquarters in the middle of the night, to run for his life, and
                      spooks the mules which trample over the Rebs winning him the day.