Re: [civilwarwest] What if Johnston had replaced Pemberton at vicksburg?

  • David Woodbury
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 7, 2000
      >At 9:55 AM -0700 4/7/00, Kristine Statham wrote:
      >As for his great Emancipation Proclomation, there's a joke. It did
      >NOT free all the slaves, as I "learned" in school. Only those in
      >the states that were rebelling. That did not include the border
      >states or any that remained in the North.

      Maybe it's just a problem with your school. I was taught that the
      president had no authority to seize the legal property of law-abiding
      citizens, so it came as no surprise that the preliminary E.P. did not
      free all slaves in the border states, or in areas of the South where
      Federal authority was being maintained. It would take a
      constitutional amendment to turn legal property into illegal
      property. But the property of insurrectionists was fair game, in time
      of war.

      And far from being a "joke," the E.P. did in fact free 10s of
      thousands of slaves in advance of the 13th Amendment. The thousands
      that sought refuge within Union lines, or who left the plantation as
      Federal forces approached -- these people literally underwent a
      change in status from slave, to free, as a result of the E.P.

      >>Thats not to mention "West" Virginia being admitted into the union
      >>in 1863 as a slave state. Well I better get down off of my high
      >>horse and do some work. Have a great day all of you.<<

      West Virginia was only admitted on the condition that existing slaves
      be emancipated according to a fixed schedule. That is to say, it was
      admitted as a free state in which existing slaves -- and there were
      not many to begin with -- would by law have to be emancipated.

      David
    • David Woodbury
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 7, 2000