Top Ten Battles

  • Dave Smith
    Message 1 of 11 , Sep 1, 2001
      So we asked for the top ten battles (campaigns to follow):

      Here were the results:

      Ballots First Place Average Votes Per
      Rank Name Cast for Points Votes Points Ballot
      1 Antietam 24 154.5 5.5 5.15 6.44
      2 Gettysburg 16 108.0 6.0 3.60 6.75
      3 Shiloh 16 90.0 2.0 3.00 5.63
      4 Ft. Donelson 10 65.0 3.0 2.17 6.50
      5 First Manassas 10 57.0 3.0 1.90 5.70
      6 Chattanooga 11 49.0 2.0 1.63 4.45
      7 Champion Hill 7 43.0 2.0 1.43 6.14
      8 Wilderness 10 24.0 0.0 0.80 2.40
      9 Chancellorsville 9 21.0 0.0 0.70 2.33
      10 Monitor / Virginia 3 21.0 2.0 0.70 7.00

      Full details at:

      http://members.aol.com/davebob1/awcusa_battles.htm

      Dave

      Dave Smith
      Villa Hills, KY
    • FLYNSWEDE@AOL.COM
      Message 2 of 11 , Sep 1, 2001
        In a message dated 9/1/01 12:27:21 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
        dmsmith001@... writes:

        << So we asked for the top ten battles (campaigns to follow):

        Very very interesting - despite all our posts on the Chicamaugua battle
        within this group, it was not one of the top ten. I also notice once again,
        the majority of the battles listed were in the East not in the West. <ugh>

        Wayne
      • Jenny Holder
        Message 3 of 11 , Sep 1, 2001
          Wayne,
          Yet I have an impression that the West offers more complexities...at this
          point...I am not certain..just seems to be..
          Jenny

        • theme_music@yahoo.com
          Message 4 of 11 , Sep 2, 2001
            I'm with Wayne, why the heck isn't Chickamauga in the top ten? No
            Chickamauga, no Chattanooga and then we've got President Rosecrans!
            Am I right?

            Eric

          • LWhite64@aol.com
            Message 5 of 11 , Sep 2, 2001
              Chickamauga the 2nd bloodiest battle of the war, 34,000 casualties.

              Lee
            • hartshje@aol.com
              Message 6 of 11 , Sep 2, 2001
                Dave,

                Thanks for sharing this info. May I ask, on the Top 10 Battles &
                the Top 10 Campaigns; Top 10 what? Favorite to study? Most impact
                on the war? Obviously not biggest or bloodiest! I too am shocked
                not to see Chickamauga regardless of the "what".

                Joe

                --- In civilwarwest@y..., "Dave Smith" <dmsmith001@y...> wrote:
                > So we asked for the top ten battles (campaigns to follow):
                >
                > Here were the results:
                >
                > Ballots First Place Average Votes Per
                > Rank Name Cast for Points Votes Points Ballot
                > 1 Antietam 24 154.5 5.5 5.15 6.44
                > 2 Gettysburg 16 108.0 6.0 3.60 6.75
                > 3 Shiloh 16 90.0 2.0 3.00 5.63
                > 4 Ft. Donelson 10 65.0 3.0 2.17 6.50
                > 5 First Manassas 10 57.0 3.0 1.90 5.70
                > 6 Chattanooga 11 49.0 2.0 1.63 4.45
                > 7 Champion Hill 7 43.0 2.0 1.43 6.14
                > 8 Wilderness 10 24.0 0.0 0.80 2.40
                > 9 Chancellorsville 9 21.0 0.0 0.70 2.33
                > 10 Monitor / Virginia 3 21.0 2.0 0.70 7.00
                >
                > Full details at:
                >
                > http://members.aol.com/davebob1/awcusa_battles.htm
                >
                > Dave
                >
                > Dave Smith
                > Villa Hills, KY
              • Dave Smith
                Message 7 of 11 , Sep 3, 2001
                  --- In civilwarwest@y..., FLYNSWEDE@A... wrote:
                  > In a message dated 9/1/01 12:27:21 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
                  > dmsmith001@y... writes:
                  >
                  > << So we asked for the top ten battles (campaigns to follow):

                  > Very very interesting - despite all our posts on the Chicamaugua
                  > battle within this group, it was not one of the top ten. I also
                  > notice once again, the majority of the battles listed were in the
                  East not in the West.

                  The group that was asked the question was an open forum, so you can
                  draw your conclusions appropriately.

                  Dave
                • Dave Smith
                  Message 8 of 11 , Sep 3, 2001
                    --- In civilwarwest@y..., theme_music@y... wrote:

                    > I'm with Wayne, why the heck isn't Chickamauga in the top ten? No
                    > Chickamauga, no Chattanooga and then we've got President Rosecrans!
                    > Am I right?

                    What's interesting about the lists are that the battles in the East
                    were ranked higher than those of the West, but the campaigns of the
                    West were ranked, in general, higher than those in the East.

                    Dave
                  • Dave Smith
                    Message 9 of 11 , Sep 5, 2001
                      --- In civilwarwest@y..., hartshje@a... wrote:
                      > Dave,
                      >
                      > Thanks for sharing this info. May I ask, on the Top 10 Battles &
                      > the Top 10 Campaigns; Top 10 what? Favorite to study? Most impact
                      > on the war? Obviously not biggest or bloodiest! I too am shocked
                      > not to see Chickamauga regardless of the "what".

                      The key was the most significant - not biggest or bloodiest. We were
                      looking for subjective opinions - not objective results. Those are
                      easily determined.

                      One thing I'd note about the top ten Generals list. It seems, for
                      the most part, that Grant adherents were willing to give Robert E.
                      Lee is fair due, while for the most part, Lee adherents were less
                      willing. Although a East / West crossover, it was an interesting
                      phenomenon.

                      Dave
                    • FLYNSWEDE@AOL.COM
                      Message 10 of 11 , Sep 5, 2001
                        I got the following from BGES and it is another battle. This is quite
                        humorous as well.

                        Please enjoy the Battle of Wauhatchie, October 28, 1863 written by John Mason
                        of Huntsville, Alabama.

                        Battle of Wauhatchie, October 28, 1863

                        The Federal Army of the Cumberland had been holed up in Chattanooga,
                        Tennessee, under a state of siege by Braxton Bragg's Army of Tennessee since
                        the Battle of Chickamauga in September. Recognizing the importance of the
                        military situation there, both governments used the best they had to help
                        their respective armies -- the Confederates left James Longstreet's Corps
                        from the Army of Northern Virginia in place while the Union sent Ulysses
                        Grant. Grant acted immediately to lift the siege.

                        Part of his plan involved the Union XII Corps under the command of Joe
                        Hooker, recently arrived from the eastern theater. In late October, Hooker's
                        troops began moving from Bridgeport, Alabama, up Lookout Valley, towards
                        Chattanooga. This move would be contested by Longstreet's Virginians. On
                        October 28, Longstreet noted that Union General John Geary's division was
                        somewhat isolated from the rest of the Federal army, and planned a night
                        attack to destroy it. Geary's soldiers were able to repel the attack, which
                        was badly handled in the first place. But it was during the attack that one
                        of the funny little vignettes of war occurred.

                        There were some 200 mules in Geary's trains. The noise of battle spooked the
                        animals, and they ran off en masse into the night. As luck would have it,
                        they ran straight into the middle of Confederate General Wade Hampton's
                        attacking legion. Assuming that the Federals had mounted a cavalry charge,
                        the Rebels broke and fled. Cantankerous army mules had saved the day! One
                        literate Yankee, remembering Tennyson's Charge of the Light Brigade, penned
                        the following parody:

                        Charge of the Mule Brigade

                        Half a mile, half a mile,
                        Half a mile onward,
                        Right through the Georgia troops
                        Broke the two hundred.

                        "Forward the Mule Brigade!"
                        Was there a mule dismayed?
                        Not when the long ears felt
                        All their ropes sundered.
                        Theirs not to make reply,
                        Theirs not to reason why,
                        Theirs but to make Reds fly.
                        On! To the Georgia troops
                        Broke the two hundred.

                        Mules to the right of them,
                        Mules to the left of them,
                        Mules behind them,
                        Pawed, neighed and thundered.
                        Breaking their own confines,
                        Breaking through Longstreet's lines,
                        Into the Georgia troops
                        Stormed the two hundred.

                        Wild at their eyes sis glare,
                        Whisked all their tales in air
                        Scattering the chivalry there,
                        While all the world wondered .
                        Not a mule back bestraddle,
                        Yet how they skedaddled -
                        Fled every Georgian,
                        Unsabered, unsaddled, scattered and sundered!
                        How they were routed there
                        By the two hundred.

                        Mules to the right of them,
                        Mules to the left of them,
                        Mules behind them,
                        Pawed, neighed and thundered;
                        Followed by hoof and head
                        Many a hero fled,
                        Fain in the last ditch dead,
                        Back from an ass's jaw
                        All that was left of them, -
                        Left by the two hundred.

                        When can their glory fade?
                        Oh, the wild charge they made!
                        All the world wondered.
                        Honor the charge they made!
                        Honor the mule brigade,
                        Long-eared two hundred.

                        -Poem copied from John D. Billings, Hardtack and Coffee.
                      • carlw4514@yahoo.com
                        Message 11 of 11 , Sep 5, 2001
                          This must have inspired Ambrose Bierce's short story JUPITER DOKE,
                          BRIGADIER-GENERAL. In it Bierce tells the story of a Federal victory
                          by a series of letters and dispatches. One Confederate thought his
                          troops got wiped out by a tornado, another by 50,000 cavalry, a Gen.
                          Baumschank resigns - " I vights no more in a dam gontry vere I gets
                          vipped und knows nod how it vos done", etc., and in the end we find
                          out the Yank general had jumped out the back window of his
                          headquarters in the middle of the night, to run for his life, and
                          spooks the mules which trample over the Rebs winning him the day.