Re: BLOODY HILL by William Riley Brooksher

  • carlw4514@yahoo.com
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 1, 2001
      Dave, as I remember, Schofield is present and appreciated as an
      experienced officer. He dissented on some of Lyon's moves, IIRC, but
      let me get back to you, some officer was at the point of
      insubordination in his dissent, but I don't think it was Schofield. I
      can look it up pretty quickly, but don't have the book with me at the
      moment. I'm sure you know the medal of honor was given out fairly
      freely in the CW, BTW.
      Carl

    • hartshje@aol.com
      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 2, 2001
        Wow! You burned me on that one Carl. Actually I guess I burned
        myself. It's been too long since I read about Wilson's Creek. I
        guess I better get this book you recommended. Anyway, thanks for
        straightening me out.

        Best Regards,
        Joe

        --- In civilwarwest@y..., carlw4514@y... wrote:
        > Actually, Joe, it is Sigel who gets routed while the main
        body
        > of Union troops makes a firm stand. Some officers argued that they
        > should continue to hold Bloody Hill rather than retreat, since the
        > Rebs hadn't succeeded in pushing them off. I think retreat was a
        wise
        > move as casualties were about even and continued fighting would
        have
        > meant, at an even rate of casualties, the 2 to 1 advantage the
        Secesh
        > troops had would have meant the battle would have come to a point
        > where all of a sudden the Yank resistance would have crumbled, IMHO
        > (the author does not give himself up to such speculation). It is
        > possible that the next move by the Rebs would have been to regroup
        as
        > both sides were low on ammunition, leaving the hill to the
        Federals,
        > but seems to me this would have been a temporary respite.
        > As for Sigel, he insisted on the plan to divide the army and
        > have his 1200 troops make a surprise attack in the rear of the
        > Southerners. Against the advice of all other officers, Lyon agreed
        > the plan, apparently figuring this was the only way to get this
        > difficult man to cooperate at all. It turns out that Sigel gets to
        > answer the question: "What happens if you cut the supply line of
        your
        > opponent in his rear with a force that is very small?" The answer:
        > your outraged foe makes you a top priority and cleans your clock.
        This
        > is what happened, Sigel is routed early on after succeeding with
        his
        > surprise initially; early war confusion about uniforms allowed the
        > Rebs to approach within a few paces before opening fire on Sigel,
        > rapidly reversing fortunes.
        > This is where the Southern troops "get their act together,"
        > turning away from the disappearing "Dutch" troops to concentrate on
        > Lyon. The whereabouts of Sigel becomes a mystery to the Yanks,
        causing
        > a lot of their problems. Lyon's plan really was to surprise his
        enemy
        > with a smash to send them reeling, then retreat to Rolla, Missouri.
        He
        > totally blamed Freemont's lack of support for his untenable
        position,
        > correctly I think. There was great concern that the withdrawal
        would
        > have been ugly without this attack; it succeeded in this respect,
        but
        > probably only because of the feuding between Price and McCulloch,
        not
        > because the blow was really severe enough to prevent subsequent
        > harassment; the Reb cavalry was unused, for example. (Again that's
        in
        > my humble opinion, certainly it was one heck of a fight.)
        > Carl
        >

        > --- In civilwarwest@y..., hartshje@a... wrote:
        >
        > > Carl,
        > >
        > > In the several versions I have read about Wilson's Creek, the
        Rebs

      • carlw4514@yahoo.com
        Message 3 of 7 , Sep 3, 2001
          Wasn't trying to burn anybody, Joe, and I'm just glad you took the
          time to fire off some questions. You know, you read the book, and
          some of it doesn't hit you till later. I was double-checking the deal
          on Schofield and started to realize that the circumstances of the
          retreat really were extraordinary; you know that really was a mutiny
          of sorts that took place, a fiasco that we don't know much about
          mainly because the Yanks dodged the bullet -- no one was pursuing.
          That's what I like about this group, discussion makes you get more out
          of your reading etc.