Affair at Centralia MO

  • clarkc@missouri.edu
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 22, 2001
      While looking for info concerning the events at Fort Pillow I stumbled
      across the following. I had to read the last sentence a couple of
      times...

      MEXICO, September 30, 1864.

      General FISK:
      I have no official news from General Douglass. Well authenticated
      rumors say he is pressing after the rebels in Callaway County. Colonel
      Dyer's forces captured two of the men who participated in the
      Centralia massacre yesterday, and they stated that Thrailkill left
      Singletone with the intention of crossing the river and joining Pap
      Price. They paroled the two bushwhackers, and the rebels at Florence
      buried them.

      FRANK D. EVANS,
      Assistant Adjutant-Gen